Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New logger series on history channel

New logger series on history channel

Hey all,

There's a new series on the history channel (starting right now actually) called Axe Men.

Looks pretty cool.

Enjoy

Ax Men

I Tivo'd the show. Pretty cool. Makes you appreciate your logs and lumber a lot more, knowing just how hard they work, and how dangerous it really is.

New show/Repost for newbies

Ax Men!! Yeah, it is an eye opener for sure. For anyone that missed Sunday night's premiere, it will be shown again Tuesday at 9PM, Wednesday at 1AM, and Thursday at 7PM, all central time on the History Channel, #269 if you have Direct TV. Normal showings each week are Sundays at 9PM central time.

While I'm on here I've noticed a lot of new people on board. If you have not read the book "How To Build Your Low-Tax Dream Home" here is my original post http://www.loghomebuilders.org/book-everyone-read-building. This book will help keep you happy while you wait to take the class.

WalkingHorseLady

The book

I just finished reading that book and it really is pretty good. In fact, it sparked my imagination about building a shed style roof rather than a gable style. And it made me want a basement again.

Ax Men

That dude that was assisting the line payout to the helicopter is NUTS!!! No friggen way would you have caught me standing amongst those rapidly uncoiling cables.

I can see why commercial logging can be so dangerous though. It's all about "how much" and "how fast." No time to plan a safe method of acquiring your logs.

LHBA Member

Ax Men

It's probably just "dramatics" but I can't believe any pilot would agree to string 4,000' of cable without an emergency breakaway between his helicopter and the end of the cable. When the one snag occured, they made it sound like they were destined to set the copter down in the trees. I hope this series is better than "Ice road truckers".

Agreed

There is definitely a high degree of dramatics added to the show. They couldn't get an audience without it. Think of it like this. If you went out there, and stood on the hill, and just watched them doing their job, (or stood along the road to watch the ice road truckers) without editing or a narrator telling you things, (truthful or not) it'd get boring pretty quick.

Of course the chopper could drop the line. Could you envision FAA allowing otherwise? Personally, I mused at how the guy driving to work said they will get run right off a cliff if they don't get out of the way of the (I guess barreling, run-away?) logging truck. I had no idea you could legally do that over there. ;-)

But I won't deny their work is dangerous.

LHBA Member

your exactly right

I am a helicopter pilot and I can tell you for sure that the pilot can drop the line from the cockpit. I only have about 100 hours in that model Bell but I have about 600 hours in another model Bell. There is a hook mounted under the helicopter that holds the load. The reason that it is dangerous is that the helo is designed to carry a load suspended under the helicopter, not dragged through the forest. If the line was to catch on something then there are several bad things that could POTENTIALLY happen to the helicopter. Its relatively dangerous but nothing like what the show was making it out to be.

Patrick
    class of Feb16/17 08

I agree with rod

the guy jumping around the cable like that is nuts. I know logging is dangerous, but this show seems to make it out like its a death sentence. I think part of the reason of the high injury/death rate is you get people with sub par judgment jumping around cables and weilding large chainsaws, its a recipe for disaster...

Ax Men free on iTunes

The first show for Ax Men is a free download on iTunes. Get it while you can.