Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rebar & Logs

LHBA Member

Rebar & Logs

Hey everyone---Just a general question about the rebar that suspends the logs in the Butt & Pass style...Metal & wood & how they react....doesn't the metal rebar create moisture inside of the logs & won't that lead to rot? I would think that maybe the wood will grow tighter to the rebar, but at the same time I would think it would still cause moisture concerns...Thanks-Brett H.

metal and wood

I don't imagine it would be any more of an issue than nailing dimenitional limber with metal nails. You could always use extra borate solution or impel rods around pinned areas to prevent fungal growth, for added peace of mind.
    Stu
    http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/

Rebar is inside the chinking

The rebar pins are inside the chining. (All the vertical ones, anyway). The only pins that are exposed are the ones on the end pinning the pass log through into the butt log. But even so, one of the keys to the LHBA method is to build large overhangs on the roof, so the logs only get wet during very windy rainstorms. If/when you take the class, you will see Skip's house first-hand, and any worries you have about moisture and rot will go away.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

rebar ---

These are two photo's of rebar that have been exposed to Washington's weather for over one year... I cut out the logs from my well shed to make a window.

It is clear that the rebar is rusted - it may have been rusted before it went in...
    The wood is not rotting, it is stained and the wood fibers are clearly holding the rebar...

Dave, great pic

Dave, great pic

LHBA Member

Hem, Klap, and Rock...Thanks

Hem, Klap, and Rock...Thanks for clearing that all up for me!- Brett

I'm looking at the photo...

I'm looking at the photos and cant tell if that amount of corrosion and rust is a good thing or not, I imagine that there will initially be some due to the green wood and exposure before the chinking gets put in place but is there a continual rusting away of the rebar that you need to be concerned about? or does it get to the point pictured and pretty much stop due to no exposure to the elements.

Thanks in advance.

Rebar disintegration

A couple of things to think about. If you get rebar delivered without some sort of rust it will be a miracle! If it arrives without any rust the only way you will keep it from developing some sort of surface oxidation (AKA rust) will be to put it under your bed. :) Once you have driven it into the center of your logs it will no longer be exposed to the major elements. Once your logs are stacked they will begin drying taking the moisture content necessary for rusting the rebar lower and lower. So no worries, all in all I would say you only have maybe 200 years! hahaha

Sparky

If it can survive in

If it can survive in concrete, it will survive in wood.

You know what Skip would say about this discussion. ;-)

LHBA Member

Sparky and Rod

OK you two. My question is (for you future buillders) how do we keep that rust from rebar from running down our pretty logs and staining them during the stacking process, cause you know that is surely has to rain sometime before the roof goes on. I have used every thing I have ever heard of and some of it will not come off. I have places where dispite every recipe, I still have shadows. Any ideas?