Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foundations

Foundations

Hello anyone and everyone!
    I know this will be discussed in the class, but I was wondering what is the recommended foundation for a log home with no basement? I am wanting to get a budget working (in my mind at least) so I can start preparing now.

Thanks!

Kala

The class covers several foundation types

Skip's favorite was pier blocks, because they are the least expensive, and the simplest to do yourself. Depending where you build, however, you may not get away with that. Some places might require a continuous footer with piers or sono-tubes coming up (I think either Hemlock or Shark has this?) Other places will require you to have a regular, continuous concrete foundation. It all depends on the code requirements where you build, and/or engineering requirements based on what your soil is like.

The class covers how to build forms to make your own pier blocks, but also answers questions about how to build your log structure on top of whatever type of foundation you are going to have: piers, continous, slab, full basement, etc.

LHBA Member

kala

So exciting! Get to class first. There is so much to this that is not like conventional building. It's hard to even begin to budget yet. Spend your time reading posts. Get to class, take notes. Welcome to the group. When are you coming to Washington?

good advice pam

Yes, I need to get to WA to take the calss. Once I get an idea in my head I can't stop thinking about it! (Obsessive Compulsive?!) I am learning patience, however, is key to doing this project right. I can't take my eyes off the posts and will continue reading and learning. In the meantime, I am trying to find out all the building codes and licenses I will need.

Love all the pics of homes posted!

Kala

Obsessive Compulsive?

Kala, you sound like me. I normally leave my laptop at home but last week I took it to work with me EVERY day watching and reading the posts. Your in OK? We will be making our decision today as to whether we will attend the class in Feb. Really was hoping for March, no announcement yet and we do not want to miss out. I have read where they have gone for 5 years without any classes (don't want that happening now)!!! When are you shooting to go?

Dennisa

Bad Timing

Hey Dennisa,

I would go to the Feb. class, but my husband is a basketball coach and that is right during his playoff season. I read that about the 5 year break, too! I just pray that they don't do it again (at least not right now!). I guess we will try to attend any class they have after February.

Crazy! I am constantly on this sight, too. I am a teacher, but I check everytime I can between classes to see what's up. And I am not a computer person! I can't stand wasting time on email and general surfing, but I can't seem to tear my eyes away from this. I'm hooked!

Be sure to check back in with the "little guests" online like me after you have taken the class! :)

Kala

Sorry to hear your not able to go in Feb.

We got our land today and as soon as I got home, reserved 2 spots for my husband and I for the Feb. class.

Also received the book today "Living Homes" by Thomas J. Elpel that several people in here have recommended to read, so I can't wait to start on that. By the way, you can go to Amazon and get it less than grannysstore.com if your interested. (Soaking up all this knowledge.)

Congrats Dennisa!

Congradulations on your land purchase and signing up for the class! Looks like things are falling into place for you. I wish I as going with you. I have also been browsing the recommended books and was going to order a few today. I will add "Living Homes" to the list.

You said you were from TX? What part? I grew up in Graham (South of Wichita Falls).

Kala

Thanks Kala. Actually we were so fortunate we did not have to purchase the land. My mother-in-law just lost her husband in Sept. and she has 20 acres she lives on by herself. My husband will eventually inherit the land so she gave us the thumbs up to go ahead with our new home. So, now it looks like we need to get our present home ready for the market. Not looking forward to living in our RV though. Its a toy box with a seperate garage (about 10' )and our living quarters will be 21'. Boy I hope my husband and I can survive this!!! :) (maybe a little too close for comfort there!)

I wish you were going to, it would be nice to go with someone I met on the site. Hopefully you will get in next month. One of my stylists, her mother is a coach as well so I completely understand your situation.

We live in Forney, Tx., 25 miles east of Dallas.

LHBA Member

Dennisa

So you got signed up! Yahoo! You will not be disappointed! So I to assume that you have a salon?