Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young and ambitious?

Wink Young and ambitious?

Hi i am 16 and want to build a small log cabin (100) square feet and live right next to couple thousand of acres of forest service land, how much would this cost to learn with materials?

I have no building expierence!

Quote Originally Posted by eggshavelegs View Post
    I have no building expierence!
    You'd have been a great candidate for skip's old 6-week (hands on) summer class.

The truth is that it will cost almost nothing. Sounds like logs are free.

Cement for 9 piers, 400 sf of 2x6 tng, 120 sf of 8 or 10 in Styrofoam, 400sf of 1/2inch plywood and shingles/tar paper a door and window (or 2), 6 10 ft (2x10) floor joists, another 100 sf of tng, rebar, 20ft of 1/2 inch galvanized allthread a (couple) boxes of nails and screws...misc lags, nuts, washers, etc. I'll bet you could do a project like this for under 5k.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

I'd recommend a loft and a shed roof

Add 4 more 2x10s and 60 sf of tng. Build ladder/monk stairs out of logs/scraps. Prolly a woodstove too.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    log-homes-sargent1.jpg
    Hi i am 16 and want to build a small log cabin (100) square feet and live right next to couple thousand of acres of forest service land, how much would this cost to learn with materials?
    Some where in the student built home is a small home built by a young man. I found them, one with snow...

I built the below 10 by12 that is 16 feet high and has a queen sized bed on the second floor. The foundation is made of cinder blocks. If you can get your logs from the forest, your home will be almost free... Good luck and keep asking questions.

No heavy equipment was used in building this structure. The only suggestion I would first make is to build a model first... Have a plan... Make sure that you can get help when you need it. Start gathering your tools... a really good 20 inch chain saw is a start... Be sure you know how to sharpen the blade.

I have more pictures in my photobucket site... look under well shed.

addtoelvie19.jpg

log-homes-sargent1.jpg
    Last edited by rocklock; 01-08-2016 at 11:16 PM.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

For a 10x10 I don't think he should even use tongue and groove. Just use a few sheets of plywood an some 2x6 lumber as the rafters. If it's only a weekend place you may not even bother insulating the roof.

I'd bet you could do it for under a thousand in materials. Heck you could bust up pallets for most of your lumber and do it almost for free.

Blog Entries
    Just a guess? With that name and your question/s, I'm betting that sooner or later we're going to see you in a class.

What you are asking about and describing is a small piece of heaven.

I hope you stick around.

Wow, 16. Add 49 years and we could be twins.
    edkemper

Class: Valentine's Day weekend 2009

Feel the Bern!

LHBA Member
    I can't imagine what my life might be like today had I discovered this at 16.... that is a very, very slightly biased statement unless I could add everything else I also realize at this point in my life. Either way, I'd be living a little (or quite) differently than I am now. I wouldn't turn back for anything at this point. So it is what it is. But you are miles ahead of most the rest of us.

My shed, shabin came out to a range between $800-1100. I did not pay a whole lot of attention to detailed amount. I know it was cheap. About $500 of it was metal roofing.
    Last edited by ivanshayka; 01-18-2016 at 05:22 PM.
    Every time I stray from teachings and suggestions of LHN it has saved me time and money.

Don't suck face with no Banker who drives a nicer car than you do... LHN 3:21.7

HI, been lurking for a couple years here. Ivanshaka what is the size of your shed? I really like the protected porch overhang.