Thread: February 3, 2005 Seattle earthquake

February 3, 2005 Seattle earthquake

Small (3.0) earthquake this morning under Whidbey Island...

Seattle Times article about the quake

No damage here, but it did wake me up... At first I thought someone was walking on the roof and shaking the house. I was out of bed trying to figure out where to shoot through the ceiling until I figured it out. ;)

Anyone else feel it?

How much could you feel it? We actually had a little earthquake in VA last year, and I felt it in NC, but just a little. It was weird, I was sitting at my desk on the third floor and had my knee resting against the side of the desk, and I felt it shift just barely from side to side. And I thought, "That felt like an earthquake, weird..." Then I took my knee off, couldn't feel anything, and put it back on, and felt the movement again. Finally, convinced that I was crazy, I turned on the TV, and sure enough, they reported that there had been an earthquake all the way up in Virginia, and a few people felt it in our area.

I didn't know you had many earthquakes in WA, though!

Even though this one was a measley 3.0 I felt it quite a bit. Enough to wake me up at 6:08am and wonder what was going on, anyway.

Seattle does have earthquakes periodically. In 2001 we had a 6.8 quake right near here and it shook a bunch of stuff off Skip's walls. The log house is so solid that it didn't cause any "real" damage, but Skip lost $20,000 in antiques that fell and broke.

Here's the stats on the 2001 Seattle quake.

I had no idea.

Hey Steve,
    good thing you didn't think someone was walking on your roof. Steel is pretty high priced

Maybe Mt. St. Helens is getting ready to blow again. :?