Thread: pole barns

pole barns

So, I live where there are no barns...someone explain to me how pole barns work?

This is what I've gathered...Is it accurate?
    You have big beams/poles that are the exterior wall/roof support for the structure. Do you not have to do the 2x4 framing between the poles?
    They're sheathed directly. Can you use this same building style for homes (Thinking garage w/ apartment on 2nd)? Would you have to add extra wall framing? Would it save any expense/time? Is this not the same as timberframe or post & beam construction? Am I missing something?

Yup, your missing something.

Yup, your missing something. :-)

A pole barn is a structure without a foundation. The "poles" (typically 6x6 material) are placed into the ground every 10 feet or so. It is then framed in between to make up your walls. Typically topped with trusses, and wrapped in metal roofing and siding. It's about the most frugal way to build a large barn.

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

pole barn pic's

My cousin's pole barn...

Administrator

Cool pole barn

One of the coolest pole barns around:

<a href="http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/wwlivin/?action=view&amp;current=LakePavilionwork4Dec_0601 1.jpg">http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/wwlivin/?action=view&amp;current=LakePavilionwork4Dec_0601 1.jpg</a>

Of course I might be a bit biased, because it was built by our member?wwlivin

We've had a few threads about pole barns, so you might want to do a search for them.