Thread: Skip's house

Skip's house

I have a couple of questions about Skip's house.

First, when was it built? I know it was used for Northern Exposure, so I'm guessing it had to have gone up since at least the 1980's. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was much older.

Second, how did he treat his logs? I'd like to know what's on there.

Thanks.

I believe Skip's home (the

I believe Skip's home (the 7000 s.f. structure) was built in 1983, but I can no longer find the details (or photos) about it since the website was changed over. :-(

In relation to your second question, I don't have an answer for you, but I've been pondering the idea of posting a new thread about that subject itself, but have thinking about doing it in the member's construction forum though. (since it is construction related)

LHBA Member

shawnis wrote:Second, how

Quote Originally Posted by shawnis
    Second, how did he treat his logs? I'd like to know what's on there.
    Thanks.
    I'm pretty sure they said in class that he didn't treat it with anything. But I'm not positive.

No stain or sealant

No stain or sealant of any kind. I can't confirm or deny the use of borates. My guess would be YES to borates when the house was built. Nothing since then.

Rod, here's a link to the

Rod, here's a link to the old info from the site:

http://www.loghomeinfo.com/photosofskipshouse2.htm

I know this is a temporary url as they're still working on moving things over- so read it while you can. I think I found some pics and a few details on skips beach resort site once as well.

I think in class they mentioned that no preservatives(or was that stains?) were used. Either way, its a huge, beautiful house that is a monument to the performance and function of this design(and its builder ; )

Skip's exceptional home and the logs

PAUL SEDLAK
    Class of June 2000
    Class of March 2003

Shawnis,

To my memory here is what I recall.

1. The logs are treated with absolutely nothing. Zippity. If you see the ridge pole, it even has some old mud on it from skidding which is just cool! This no chemical treating is why the bark removal with a spud is so important over peeling with a draw knife. The log has an exceptional natural resistance if KEPT DRY. It cannot be kept dry if sealed up as it cannot breath, thus it will rot. Natural moisture just from the air must be able to pass through the logs and chinking (that is why you use mortar btw and not a polymer). Also, the reason for the overhangs are so large. To protect the logs. If peeled with a knife you open up multiple layers of hard/soft rings and remove the natural resistance of the log. It will then eventually rot and usually badly crack. I have seen several homes less than ten years old with peeled treated logs that are rotting. One just down the street from my home! Skips' log home if kept dry is estimated to last 1000+ years. This Skip has told me directly and I believe that was stated by a structural engineer. If you want draw knife peeled logs, put them on the inside only! Better yet, use them for firewood!

Keep in mind, treating is to keep away bugs primarily and looks more than anything. The bugs only like the wood if it is WET. Otherwise, they have no use of it and will stay away. I like if you do not treat them but just remove the bark, they can turn a beautiful shade of silver (Doug Fir). Cedar is amazing also.

2. Mid 80s on construction and cost of materials I believe under 40k. Nothing like using your head! Around 1999/2000 it was evaluated at over 100,000x that plus! It is a magnificent place more akin to a cathedral and in my estimation a priceless treasure for generations to come.

3. The NX use appears to be first season then sets were constructed in Redmond. If you get the DVD's, it is cool to see the home. Skips' story about his meeting the site scout for Universal is just great!

God Bless,

Paul

Can't get a piece of Dirt in Monroe < 100k now

Quote Originally Posted by pbs7mm
    2. Mid 80s on construction and cost of materials I believe under 40k. Nothing like using your head! Around 1999/2000 it was evaluated at over 100,000x that plus! It is a magnificent place more akin to a cathedral and in my estimation a priceless treasure for generations to come.
    You can't get a piece of buildable dirt in Monroe/Woodinville for under $100k now, let alone view property and a HUGE log mansion. (I know, because I've been trying to find one!) Skips' place is worth MILLIONS today. That's not an exaggeration. $1 Million would be a STEAL.

PAUL SEDLAK Class of June

PAUL SEDLAK
    Class of June 2000
    Class of March 2003

Klapton,

Funny you should mention that. Saw on the reader board on 203/main yesterday for I think JLScott, 6 acres 59k. Got my eye. Who knows?? Might be swamp?? :)

When I said 100,000X value to cost, I was not making it up. Take for example that was seven years ago!

Paul

Deals can be found...

We are currently looking at 5 buildable acres for a VERY good price, but not in that area. But the reason the price is so good is because the seller doesn't think it's buildable. To do it, we are going to have to elevate and floodproof the house, and understand that we WILL likely have water under our house every few years, hehe. But this is the kind of thing that you almost HAVE to do if you want to build in western Washington, and you aren't a Microsfot executive or something. The other very common thing is wetlands. My brother managed to build his house on a property that included a salmon-bearing wetland in King County. Basically the house BARELY fit in one corner of the property, and he was forbidden to touch the rest.

I'm sure there is, at the very least, something very challenging about that property to be listed that cheap. If you are really curious, go here - http://web5.co.snohomish.wa.us/pds/pdskiosk/disclaimer.asp - and click on the permit map linkie, and try to find it. Snohomish county has a pretty good map system (not as good as King County's though) and you can usually find out why no one wants it.

zippity

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Skip's house had nothing on the logs but I couldn't find it. That's great. Thanks guys. This is something I was planning to do for my future place.

Paul, did I read that right? You took the class TWICE? Now that's dedication!

Shawn
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Planning to take my class some time in 2008.