Thread: Hometime (TV Show) Log House

Hometime (TV Show) Log House

I was wondering if anyone has seen the Hometime show where they built a Log Home in Wisconsin. They went through a log builder in Michigan called Maple Island Log Homes.

I've seen it

I did see that show. I also recall a later show where they had to go back in and replace one of the logs because they had it extending past the roof-line. It was starting to rot because it was always getting wet. I think they left it extended because they thought it looked cool that way or something. You would think that a log-home builder would no better than to do that.
    Lisa

For most of us that have taken Skip's class, or read through the wealth of information on the website, it comes as no surprise that a "log-home builder" (so-called) would make such a mistake. Read some of the kit home horror stories and you'll see that it gets much worse than that. Skip's instruction and technique is the best way to avoid these situations.

Ever try taking a log out of an existing wall? Can't imagine it's too much fun.

Jed

Actually, Mike and I own the DVD set of them building the latest log home - used to have theone on the first log home as well. We watched this latest one since coming home from the classes and we sputtered through the whole thing. They did so much wrong!

The chinker sub-contractor is the one who pointed out on the newest log home what some of the problems were that they were going to run into (he also restores log homes). They then took him to the original log home that at that time was 8 years old. That rot was a big problem and wasn't sure but what he might have to replace the whole log. It was a mess!

Gloria

HomeTime Log Home is Wisconsin

McDonis:

I bought the tape of the Hometime episode when they built the log home in Wisconsin many, many years ago. That tape is what got me interested in log building. I have probably watched that thing 50 times. Of course, now I know the scribe method they used is a long, drawn out process, and susceptible to settling as compared to the superior butt-pass method. I remember the extensive pains they went through to "float" the kitchen walls to prevent the fixtures from being crushed by the logs settling. They also used the same method when hanging the windows. The way they ran the heating ducts in the floor was clever.

I saw a follow-up to the building of that log cabin after 9 years. Some of the logs had to be replaced due to rot. Some lower logs were exposed to excessive amounts of water due to splashing of rainwater. Also, a larger support log that should have been cut back to rest under the eaves was allowed to jut out, being exposed to the elements and consequently also had to be replaced.

It was definitely an elaborate log home.

Luthgarden