Thread: Exceptional Log Home Award: Gold Bar / Index home

Administrator

Exceptional Log Home Award: Gold Bar / Index home

We are pleased to present another <a href="/image-galleries/student-log-homes/index-wa-log-home">exceptional log home</a>!

This log home is located in Snohomish County.? It was built by Chris and Tony,?two friends who?took the class about two years ago, formed an LLC, and then built this beautiful log home (as a spec home).

They did a great job, and built an awesome log home... congratulations on a job well done.

We hope everyone enjoys the pictures :)

Beautiful! Blayne

Beautiful!

Blayne

Yeah, that's a fantastic

Yeah, that's a fantastic house! I'm glad to see a few more pics of the balcony and other features than were visible on the website.

Gorgeous!

I actually had found this house while I was searching for land very near their location. (Monday after the class, i will be looking at a property less than a mile downstream, hehe.)

I was interested to see that they appeared to use logs for their upper floor joists? I can't wait to take the class and get info on spans and spacing etc. That and to finally be able to search / ask questions in the member forums. I'm so excited! Only a week to go!!!

It actually appears they

It actually appears they used I-Beams (or 2x12) as floor joists (and rafters) and used 1x6 t&g as ceiling cover. This has a certain designer's finger prints on it.

So, the 2nd floor joists are hidden?

So, for example, in this picture: http://www.loghomebuilders.org/log-homes-open-kitchen-0 I see the two logs (the ones that stick out the front of the house) going lenthwise connected to the crosswise log... those then are not the support for the 2nd floor? Or am I missing something?

Now, I think I understand that the 1x6 ceiling can be nailed up onto the regular floor joists above. Is that what they did here? If the 2nd floor joists are connected to the log walls above the 1x6 pretty panelling, then are the log beams still necessary?

Short answer: Yes - still

Short answer: Yes - still necessary. Spans.

We'll see you in the members' section next week. Your questions will be answered at class. This method is not the method taught in class, but it still works just fine. It just depends on your tastes, desires, etc. The LHBA theory allows for all sorts of modifications to their preferred style.

You pretty much have the gist of it.

Passive Solar / Thermal Mass question

I read in another thread (I couldn't find it, so I'll just ask here) that the river rock "chimney" in this home is actually "field stone" (I think that's what it was called in the other thread) with stick framing and plywood behind it. How thick then is the actual stone when you build this kind of thing, and how much thermal mass would it provide if it was positioned to receive passive solar imput (facing south windows)? I understand that "every bit helps" when talking about passive solar stuff, but I guess I'm just wondering how much benefit it would be vs. some other kind of construction -- say cinder block with a rock face? (I'm a construction newb, so help me out if I'm totally off base here!)