Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind power

Wind power

That's one heck of a windmill, bud.. I'd use a laptop if you're going to have hinky homemade power, at any rate. That way, when the inverter trips out for whatever reason, you don't have to reboot to enjoy the privelige of reading the forum.. 8)

Personally, I'd start small and work out the bugs, then move up, rather that building a system that can constantly pump $$$ 400 amps at 12V.. and for $38, you have a backup unit. Just my musings, anyway...Free advice is worth every penny...!

Wind power

Well sure! Didn't I mention my 120 inch High Definition computer monitor and the coffee maker next to the keyboard?

But seriously though, the windmill will probably be in the ~500 watt range to a bank of batteries. I'm thinking of a 24 volt system to reduce amperage and lighten up the cables both from the windmill to the batteries and to the inverter. I just want to make sure I can run appliances.

I have read some more, that true sine wave inverters are a lot more innefficient overal and have a high idle (no loads applied to the inverter) amp draw just to power their own circuits. So I am rethinking, and maybe I'll go with a modified sinewave inverter for most things, and rework my current 1000 va UPS I have for the computer and run it like a full time inverter. (if it can handle continuous loads) It's only very lightly loaded as is now, only lighting the first LED of five on the power useage indicator.

Battery-less would be nice, but that's hardly reality, unless you get a (very expensive) "grid-tied" inverter. No batteries, but the regular electic grid acts a bit like a battery by sending your excess power to the grid (which reverses the electric meter) and later when you need power, it comes back in. The only problem is if the grid goes down, so do you if you don't have batteries. But I guess that's what my 4000 watt generator is for.

Anyhow, I'm getting waaaaaayyy ahead of myself. All I got is some sketches and some orders for materials. Starting small is a good idea. Let's see if I can make the mill first. :wink:

I appreciate the (or any) advice. It's worth no less than the price paid. :wink:

Wind power

Sweet! Are you going to go for the vertical or the traditional windmill?

Wind power

I'm going to attempt a traditional style mill and build a 3 phase axial flux alternator. I'm not sold on the vertical styles being able to generate sufficient torque (and definitely not comparable to traditional) to get the wattage I'm targeting. Clearly, that unless you build the thing to be massive, they are unable to harness the same square footage of air compared to a traditional mill. Though I may still build a small scale one just out of curiosity, now that I have seen how they go together.

One nice thing is an axial flux alternator can be easily fitted to any rotating shaft. (including vertical mills) Maybe I'll get lucky enough to acquire property with a running stream, and convert it to a hydro-electric operation.

LHBA Member

Wind power

There is a good book out there called "Logs, Wind, and Sun". I checked it out at my library but it can be purchased at Amazon.com, etc. It was a couple that had built their own home (non-Skip method) but has good information on wind and solar electricity. They use both for their cabin and have some good tips for setting it up.

LHBA Member

Wind power

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer
    Of course, when it comes down to the last dance, I'll be willing to compromise.
    I use a modified sine wave inverter, off grid. So far it's fried a bunch of sensitive electronics that work fine on grid power. The manufacturer states in its manual that some things will work fine, some things will not work at all, some things will work poorly, some things will burn up (like my Mom's air cleaner - "What's that funny smell? Ah, just the plastic melting, Mom, don't worry about it." so much for the cleaner air! ) and other things will burn out faster than usual because they have to work harder/longer. I plan to replace it this year with a full sine wave inverter.

So, pay the extra money and get a full sine wave inverter. Here's a forum for sun/wind discussions.
    http://www.wind-sun.com/smf/index.php

Wind power

Here's a cool magazine that has a few DIY articles. This month has an article on how to build a windmill ( Rod :D ) using a motor from a treadmill. 8)

http://www.makezine.com/magazine/

Jeff

Wind power

Ha!! I've seem to be growing a reputation that I'm "the guy that's building the windmill." :lol: Hasn't anyone else on here planned/built windmills?

From what I gathered, just about any permanent magnet motor can be made into a generator, but may not be all that efficient. Brushes and slip-rings are the biggest thing to avoid. (though several report many years of flawless service) Anyhow, I got some literature, the magnets, (which scare the %&#!$ out of me) and the hub assembly. I'll have the rotors tomorrow. Misc. hardware, motor winding wire, and plywood for molding forms will soon follow. (see how finances go after that vet bill :wink: )

I'm starting to learn that I still need to learn a lot. :lol: Many variables that I have yet to be answered. This would be a lot easier if I had someone to coach me along on this. I love the fact that constructing these things seems sort of "back woods" but when you get into it, you see the high degree of engineering and understanding of phyics required.

LHBA Member

Wind power

I've been considering getting a wind generator. Our place is always windy. How windy is it you ask? It was so windy last week, that it lifted the 4 panel PV array off it's pole and dropped it ontop of the roof.
    I am rethinking wind generation! I may go with a propane generator.

Wind power

Here's more on that DIY windmill. This site also has a lot of other cool DIY stuff.

http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/27BB2BF4004C102980EC001143E7E506/