Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind power

Wind power

I think if I were to build an alternative-energy system to provide electricity for my home, I would want to combine several methods together with the aim of creating a varied and constant source of power - for example, solar panels, wind power, and a water wheel (if I were lucky enough to have a small river nearby) all feeding into a bank of batteries for storage, and then powering the house. That said, how feasible is wind power for someone like me? Is it reasonable - and cost effective - to build or purchase some sort of windmill that would generate an amount of electricity that would be worth storing? Does a windmill have to be 100' tall and blot out the sun? Would it take 100 years of use to recoup the cost in power savings? All this assumes that I live in an area where I have a good amount of wind, and not a lot of neighbors to complain. :D

Wind power

Jeff,

Check out otherpower.com. There is tons of information including pictures
    on how to build your own power generating wind turbines, and they do it quite inexpensively using brake disc rotors salvaged from old trucks and cars.
    Interesting stuff, here's the link http://www.otherpower.com/

Russ

Wind power

I just heard on NPR that they've found bat corpses near some new wind turbines in the appalachians (WV?). They'll be doing a study to see how to prevent/lessen this unforseen impact on nature.

Wind power

I'll look in to using wind power as a supplement to grid for my cabins. Seems a very feasible option for my part of the world. Always wet and windy :)

Wind Power

There are other types of wind generators other than those big towers and airprop types. Check into the vertical types that work on 8 mph winds. :D

LHBA Member

Wind power

For my off-grid location I use a 400w pv array, 6 6-volt batteries, modified sine wave inverter, diesel generator (backup and to power the 220v deep well pump). I hope to add a wind turbine this year.

One thing with the modified sine wave inverters, they fry things like chargers, motors, electronics, but only some. Other stuff works fine.

I'm still learning about it! I didn't design it, so I have to find out things as I go along.

Wind power

Here's another DIY wind power site.

http://www.gotwind.org/

Wind power

OK, so I been studying the Other Power website pretty thoroughly for a while now, and I think I'm about ready to try my luck building a windmill. I have a few books on the way that I hope will answer the unanswered. I also have started gathering parts. It should be a fun build.

After that I'll have to figure out how to regulate power and finally utilize it. Hopefully I can bump into a good deal on an inverter, as this is the most expensive part of the whole project.

Wind power

BUMP! $38 for 700W surge low enough for ya?
    Greg

Wind power

Ha, that didn't take long!

Actually, I was looking for something more along the lines of 5000+ watts and preferably with a pure sine wave (or close to it) to run inductive loads, flourecent lights, and other electronics that don't like the modified sine wave (like this computer I am typing on) which the inexpensive inverters utilize.

Of course, when it comes down to the last dance, I'll be willing to compromise. :lol: