Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log weights

LHBA Member

Log weights

Does anyone know of a website that has a chart where I could estimate the weights of "green" logs? Specifically I would like to be able to estimate weights for Loblolly Yellow Pine. Thanks

Professional Engineer RockEngineer's Avatar

Log weights

Toward the end of this article it gives the density of a variety of woods both green and dried.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-156.html
    :lol:

LHBA Member

Thanks

Ok, Thanks

Log weights

I asked a similar question over in the construction forum, but it seemed relevant here. And I hope this doesn't come across as lazy, but has anyone ever weighed a log? I appreciate the charts on that page, but I'd like to know what a ballpark range (within a couple hundred pounds) might be for a log weight? Say we're talking about a 40' log, 12" avg diameter, lodgepole pine, fresh cut in the winter.

For example. :D

LHBA Member

pine

That would be good info to know, I hope someone has the answer. I have lots of pine on my land. Nice straight tall pine. I wonder what it weighs???

LHBA Member

Log weights

When I built my house I wondered about the weight of my base log. It was 16" average diameter. I cut a 1' piece off the end and it weighed 40 lbs. It was 40' long. --- 40 lbs/ft X 40 ft =1600 lbs. It was Douglas Fir.

that works out..

I've been wondering about that same thing; I plan to use a material-handling forklift for my house, and need a capacity. So, according to the chart, that 16 inch log figures like this...

volume of wood: 3.1416 x 8inches (.666) squared x 1 foot= 1.39 cu ft.

weight of that much water = 62.4 pounds x 1.39 = 87 pounds

specific gravity of green Fir =.41, so 87*.41= 35.7 pounds per foot, or

1428 pounds for a 40 footer...

go figure! :roll:

Greg

log weights

I posted this same link in another discussion thread. You might want to look at other discussions to glean information. This particular site is listed in the rolodex.

http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calcu...tor=log_weight

??

Well, I put in those same numbers, 16" Grand Fir, 40'long, got 2200+ pounds.. I wonder who's right? I feel a little more comfortable with the specific gravity method, especially since it seems closer to the empirical evidence provided by Logbear.. I wonder if our resident engineer has a chart he uses?

Greg

Pine weight in Pounds per cubic foot

ClubMike
    Here are the weights for several species of pine in pounds per cubic foot for “air dry” wood.
    Lodgepole pine 30
    Ponderosa pine 32
    Red pine 28
    Whit pine 26