Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself

Hi Jean-Claude,

Welcome aboard! Lots of good useful information here.
    Since you have already built, I'm sure you're aware
    that the verticals (posts, ridge pole supports) will need
    to be compensated. As the outer walls settle, the posts
    will push up the floor, roof, and anything else they are
    attached to. Actually, they won't go up, just the outside
    walls will go down. Mostly compensated for with screw-
    jacks and due diligence.

Have a good time here. A lot of friendly helpful people who
    are willing to share their knowledge.

-Rick

Introduce yourself

Yeah, I know. I have 3 support posts as roof support and 3 screwjacks that a local welder will be doing for me on the main floor. It, in turn supports my second floor lof joists for the upper floor. I can't wait to start.... I'm just hitching to use my hand adze and log scribers.... I've practiced for the past year to keep the double level bubbles level....It's tough at first but you get the feel for it pretty fast...

Hello from Sweden!

Signed up today. I recently bought a loghouse in the north of Sweden.
    It was built in 1940 and was originally used for woodworkers to stay under several months during their workingperiods, a three horse stable
    sits 35 meters away. No water, no electricity, loads of brownbears and moose. I am adding a screened porch next spring and thought this forum might be useful for finding info. I have an outdoor loggingmuseum 400 meters from the house which is kind of cool. The pictures in the students logghousegallery really inspired me.

Regards, Joakim / Sweden

A couple of pics of my retreat.
    http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5414#5414

LHBA Member

Introduce yourself

Wow, Joakim--

Lovely, lovely spot. Man, we're envious. :D

My family has a no-electricity, no running water cabin of a similar size on a large acreage near the Canadian border in the state of New Hampshire. Not logs, but reminds me a little of yours. No pond/lake, though. That must be a really peaceful location. :D

Welcome to the group!
    Sara :D

Introduce yourself

Hi Joakim,
    Welcome to the forum!
    You are truly blessed to live in such a beautiful place! Makes me want to be out trudging in that snow with my great pyrenees and my weiner dogs. Of course, they would most likely be in a sled wrapped up in a fur blanket, seeing as how I would never find them in all that snow, but we would be having a great time, that's for certain.
    Your place reminds me so much of where I grew up. I can't wait to get back home and have my own little piece of heaven.
    Best wishes to you in all your endeavors.
    Shanara

Introduce yourself

Hello all,

Seems like a good time to introduce myself. My name is Jeff and my wife and I plan to start construction within 5 years. We will be moving about 2 hours from where we currently live to be within easy driving distance to our families which will make things like the upcoming holiday season that much nicer.

Hope to take the class sometime next spring, depending on how budgets and bonuses work out in the mean time.

I plan to construct a workshop first to work out the finer details of the construction method and then build our house which we are starting to write down our wants/needs for now. The workshop will be nice to have depending on how much of the final milling I do myselft, might go full on and build a chainsaw mill, who knows at this point. It will also serve as the workplace for an internet business that my brother in law and I are hoping to start up.

Many wonderful examples and vast knowledge here, thanks for all of it so far and to come.

Jeff

Fellow NC future log home builder

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel_h
    Hi Everyone,

I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I'll be moving to the piedmont-triad area of North Carolina in a few weeks, and I've just started to look for land in the area. I am interested in someplace near Reidsville since that is where my(soon-to-be EX-)wife and daughter are living. Are there any other forum members from NC?

I will probably take the class sometime this year, and I plan on building mortgage-free, living on my land in an old trailer/mobile home since I've found several single-wides online already for less than $7000. I'm also interested in homesteading, bio-diesel/ethanol production and passive-solar cabin designs.
    Gabe,
    I am brand new to the forum and ran across the log home builders site about a month ago. I live about 30 miles south of Durham. My plan is to take the class in Washington in about a year or so, and acquire land and start building 2 years after that.
    I will probably look to find land in Chatham county. Look forward to maybe working with you.

Introduce yourself

Hey Everyone, I moved from Oklahoma to NW Georgia to get out of the flat lands and into the Mountains, Right now I live on top of Lookout Mountain on 4 acres with a pond and 2 cabins, getting the feel if this is what my Wife, Daughter and I want and it looks like it's a yes. Next step we will start looking for land of our own and take the class.

Introduce yourself

Real pretty area Lookout. Just got finished driving through N.Georgia into N. Carolina. Welcome!

Introduce yourself

Thanks WillandHelen :D it is very pretty here. We spend a lot of time in Alabama, I do some work all the way down in Montgomery a 3 hour drive for me. I live near Mentone Alabama