Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself

Hi everyone,

My name is Woody Orr and I attended the class in November 2004. My wife, Robbi, and I currently live in Houston, TX. About 2 weeks ago we closed on a 4 acre parcel of land on the Columbia River Gorge near Stevenson, Washington. Our house in Texas is now up for sale and we plan to move to Washington by early spring. Our plans for a 2300 sq ft log home are currently with Rock Engineering and we plan to start construction as soon as we sell our house here. I have begun my collection of log building tools and have already assembled 6 sets of blocks and tackle using the info contained in the previous issue of the log homebuilders newsletter. We have a Northern Tools store in town and I cleaned them out of their supply of 24 large 5" snatch blocks. Got them for 18 bucks each!

These newsletters have some great information and resources. As a new member to this forum, I noticed back issues are available. I'm going there as soon as I finish this post.

We would really like to hear from anyone in the Gorge area.

Visiting with the folks in the Skamania County Planning office, the Health Department, and the Permits office was such a pleasant experience. We can't wait to get up there.

Trading in the blistering heat of Houston for the cool/cold of Home Valley, Washington!

(The following was added January 2016):

Our home has been finished for several years now and the website below is a pictorial of our building project. We were proud to be awarded with the "Exceptional Log Home" certificate in November 2010.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/woodman/
    Last edited by Woodman; 01-26-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Introduce yourself

Dang, I thought I might have a Texas buddy to council with! We close this week on a 10 acre piece up here West of Fort Worth....I'm going to see if there is a Northern tools in this area..good luck in Wa. State! Rich W. in Southlake, Tx...

Newbie from Georgia

Hello,

My name is Mark. I live central Georgia and am very interested in log home contruction. Does anyone here know any members from this area that could help me find resources for materials and such. I have no idea where to start. I have a contract pending on 8 acres over looking a lake in Zebulon, Ga. We want to have a few horses and maybe a beef cow or two. The problem with building a log homes is that I do not have one single tree on my land. I would have to haul some in but where should I look for a tree source? There are plenty of southern pine trees around here but are they desirable building stock?

I also would consider walking away from this deal and moving to a more suitable log home area if I had an opportunity. Any suggestions?

Mark

LHBA Member

Introduce yourself

Mark,

If you haven't already attend the class and they will help you with how to locate logs. Its also a great experience!

Re: Newbie from Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by karmrd
    The problem with building a log homes is that I do not have one single tree on my land. I would have to haul some in but where should I look for a tree source? There are plenty of southern pine trees around here but are they desirable building stock?
    Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forums!

For the most part, we recommend using what you can get locally (and for a lower cost) rather than importing house logs from somewhere else. Southern yellow pine is very common in the south and usually inexpensive because it is very fast growing. That also means it has a tendency to shrink, warp and twist more than average. Fortunately it does make a fine log home as long as it is built correctly. So keep your eyes open for good deals on logs and start studying now. ;)

Steve

Southern Pine

Thanks for the reply,

See there I learned something already.

karmrd

Introduce yourself

HI!

My name is Noelle, and I am signed up for next months memorial weekend class (well, my hubby and I).

Introduce yourself

Guys/Gals,
    GO TO THE CLASS! You could post questions all day or you could go to the class and get most of the information that you will need. Save yourself some time, some pain, some agony and just go. At first the tuition may be something that you might not feel you can lay out but I will tell you - from experience - that if you're one to think about "investing" (in that you will get more back - of anything - from an original investment) then you would be wise to take the class. If you need, borrow money from momma's cookie jar, drink a few less beers, watch a few less mindless movies and save up and GO!
    My only motive for writing this is my own recent experience (last Saturday) and just to say that there is so much valuable information here that I guarentee you that if you pay attention, you will end up saving tons of time and $$$. Of course if you aren't that serious about building a log home then you would be right to continue to peruse whatever is available. If you are motivated - - - start with the class... It will be the BEST investment in the long haul.

TSWIII
    Graduating class of May 15,2005

Introduce yourself

Diddo what she said, IF you are serious about doing it your self you'll save the tuition when you do your own slab.

Hi class mate :D

Heres a link www.houselogs.net its K&k lumber and logs homes in Silt , CO.
    May be a place for some log price research

Introduce yourself

Hello Peoples!

My name is Sergio and I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I've always wanted to live in a log home. I just started my quest, research, etc. and feel fortunate to have stumbled on this community. There is so much to learn. I'm getting ready to purchase some land and begin planning the site/build. May even have to take the course at some point...

Anyways - looking forward to learning as much as I can from all 'yins.