Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Good books?

Good books?

Hi Walker,
    What is coggling?
    Shanara

Good books?

Here's Logsdon's explanation "'Coggle' is not a word you will find in any ordinary dictionary. It's a folk word that, as far as I know, came out of the Kentucky hills where survival depended on the ability to coggle. It means to improvise a method of doing something when the proper tools or materials are not available. The word usually applies to a makeshift repair job. The idea is that one will redo the repair or improvisation properly when there is more time later--but such a time never arrives."

When your car heater isn't working and you heat up a couple of rocks on your woodstove to put on the floorboard to warm your feet, you're coggling! But he says that if you're wanting a convertible and you cut of your hardtop with a welding torch, you've carried coggling too far.

More "The true coggler values only the kind of coggling that saves money, but there is a lesser genre of the art where money is not the issue. One of my sisters dries her children's winter boots out with a blow dryer, and another defrosts her freezer with it. I have a third sister who washes her apples in the dishwasher, but that's another story."

One cannot succeed as a homesteader without this skill. Happy coggling, everybody. )

Good books?

now days thats called pulling a McGiver !!!!!!!!

LHBA Member

Good books?

And to THINK! We've been coggling all these years and just didn't know it! :lol: :D

Sounds like our kind of book, Walker!

Sara :D

suisun,clearlake oaks,placerville and cottonwood ca.

books

I will be taking the 23/24th class and is there one particular must have book, without a doubt not to be without
    Gary

LHBA Member

Good books?

Hi, Badsign--

I wouldn't buy anything until AFTER you go, now. Just go and absorb and enjoy. When you get home, there'll be plenty of time to start charting new courses and getting new ideas. :D

Sara

suisun,clearlake oaks,placerville and cottonwood ca.

Good books?

then that is exactly what I'll do
    Thanks Gary

Good books?

A book I very highly recommend and is also almost
    impossible to find just came up on half.com. They
    have three copies of:

A guide to preserving food for a 12 months harvest
    by Mariel Dewey

This is a Sunset book. Not too thick but incredibly
    rich in information. This is closer to a survival book
    than a book about drying and canning. Should be on
    top of your must have list.

I'm really hoping all three copies will be bought up by
    members...helps to give us a wider resource base.

If I remember I'll bring my copy to the June meeting.

-Rick

not quite off topic (i hope...)

there is an older book which my local library no longer carries and the name of which i can not recall. i believe it was from the mid seventies and dealt exclusively with log construction. i have been trying to find a copy for a few years now, and this has been rather difficult without knowing the title. i'm sure it is no longer in print but i was hoping that someone here was familure with the book and could help me. there were quite a few interesting plans, such as a dumb waiter, a built-in firewood storage box with doors that opened outdoors as well as indoors. the book also covered the basics of building traditional log 'cabin' structures from raw material, as well as cord-type construction and timber framing. one of the designs was based around massive older timbers of differing lengths which the author found in an inoperative saw mill that he used for supporting the floor. the author did not want to waste any part of the timbers, so the house ended up being far from square, kind of a trapazoid, as was aparent from the changing slope of the roof. the other design that stands out in my memory was for a log sauna which used chinked bottles on the ends of the roof (i want to call it a gable, but i'm sure that is not right) for natural. i really hope that someone out there knows of this book, and any help with the title would be greatly appreciated.
    many thanks,
    peter

Good books?

Just previewed, "Dare to Prepare" by Holly Deyo.
    Haven't read the book but it appears to be very
    insightful. Planning to buy it.

-Rick