Page 53 of 304 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Randy & Marilyn Battles just wanted to say hello!

We are looking forward to go to the class on April 19th & 20th, we are hoping that this class will help us build our dream retirment home in Missouri. We have 34 acres of hilly farm land, the main thing we grow are a few black berries and a lot of tics and chiggers. And by the way the tics and chiggers are free for the taking!!!!
    We will see ya'll in April,

Hi All

Hello from sunny Florida. I love the ocean but miss the trees and mountains. Our highest elevation is Mt Trashmore the local dump. Looking forward to signing up for the next course and seeking a plot of land to build our 1st log cabin. Wish I could do some preliminary studing. I have read alot of the postings but does anyone have any suggestions of books, articles I can read before teh course? Looking forward to a few slivers.

Thanks Steve

Florida Blues?

Hello Steve, I live in Florida too. You're right about Florida flatness. I can almost get 32 miles per gallon in my 6 cylinder Chrysler when I put it in cruise. I've even pushed my 4x4 monster Dodge truck to 18MPG.

I took the class last January after collecting alot of information about kit homes and finally going to a log home show in Tampa. I drove away from that thing disgusted about what they were calling log homes these days. I even contacted an architect up in the Adirondacks about his building designs. Then I just cut through all the B**Sh** and took the class in Monroe.

I would suggest reading everything on this site. Don't worry about being prepared for the class because it's after the class that everything else begins to make sense. You'll have a better idea about what books you'll need to read then. Like me? I have a stack of books now about concrete, masonry, plumbing, and my favorite, a book about barn building. I have books on old time woodworking, how to work alone, building for lower tax assessments. I'm even thinking of taking a welding course so I can build a metal staircase. I just finished a preliminary floor plan and I'm going to try to start a model.

I won't be building in Florida though. I'll be building on a 23.5 acre property I bought in 2006, upstate NY, 3 miles southwest of the blue line.

Good luck! I hope you get your class soon.

Ok, I will help build in Upstate,

But I want to winter it out in Florida,,,,

:)

Mikey

Welcome Justin

I was born in rural Kansas too, Gypsum 67448.

I took the class in 1987 and the journeyman's course in 1988. I know you will enjoy the course. Southern Colorado sounds great ! You can visit four corners, mesa verde and a lot of great places!!! Thanks for serving the country!

Best wishes,
    Mikey

Hi. I am just a guy from

Hi.

I am just a guy from sweden. A friend of Skip

Regular+ User

Shannon From Minnesota

Hello everyone! My name is Shannon and i live in West Central Minnesota. I am engaged and we have 5 children and i am currently pregnant and due in November 2008 with baby number 6.
    As any one knows large houses for large families is hard to find and if and when you do find them they like to charge out the a** for them!
    I have always loved log houses and i have always wanted one. I actually was talking to my Fiance a few weeks ago telling him it would be cheaper for us to buy land and build our own.
    I was just doing some general searching on building log homes and i ran across this site, and am i ever glad i did!
    I am just waiting and hoping another class is scheduled yet, sometime fairly early this year.
    Can't wait to get to know all of you and see how you're doing on your projects, i have seen all the photos of ones already done and they're just gorgeous!

Large family looking...

After my return in November, 2008, I will begin earnestly seeking out home options for our very large family! We are seriously considering purchasing a log home vs. building. With the "new housing market" taking a dump (i.e., stick home construction), we are wondering how the log-home industry is doing and if the timing is right to buy a student log home vs. building one.

We have six acres around the Angelica, New York area but remain open to living anywhere from north Georgia to New England if the package and/or building opportunities are right! We are seeking enough sqf. for our family of 16. How's that for starters! :)

Anyone have or know of log home project that might fit our situation?

http://www.hike4fathers.com
    http://www.truthhiker.com

large family home

I can tell you that you won't find a home that large for anywhere near an affordable price. You really should look into taking this course and building a house for yourselves. Sounds like you may have lots of help from family and then you can build what you want.
    Debby

About to retire

Hello Steve, it is very nice to meet you. My husband David and I are planning to retire to Richmond, IN in June 2009 on 7 acres of land. We have always wanted to build our own log cabin home and your course sounds like just what we need to get started. Sure hope you have a class between now and then.
    Patricia

Change your water...Change your Life!
    Discover the Power of Kangen
    Presrve your body and the environment!
    www.powerofthemind.com