Page 52 of 304 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

I like your quote at the

I like your quote at the bottom of your posts. Everyday I relearn how little I actually know.

Tom

Well some of the good generals I know are passed on or retired. I work with another Drywall contractor so we don't need W. C. and all the paper work. We mostly work for homeowners. I got into this trade because I had learned and done it all in a Lumber yard. I even drove truck a 10 wheeler and the main driver was telling me when you roll the load off it will pick the front end of truck off the ground. Naturally I did not believe him until I saw it when I dropped off a big load. I had it easy I was yard boss and just built loads to truck out. I had 2 helpers and I could just drive around on fork lift and tell my yard dogs what to do. My responsibilities were to keep yard organized and make sure nothing was missing on the order when truck left. I was valuable to CO. because I knew every name & piece of moulding and everything we carried-but it was no more of a challenge. I started helping a friend who needed work so I worked my day job then did drywall at night. I believe Home Depot helped put the yard I quit eventualy out of business around twelve years after I quit. Weird thing was I found I did not like drywall-at least hanging it. I took some vacation time off to help friend do a big job. Called the owner of lumber yard said I needed more time off to finish. He said no come back now we need you. So I TOLD HIM CANT have to finish the job! I was going to just quit drywall after that job--is this destiny!So that is how I got into drywall. We have a 16,000 sq ft drywall job coming up-5/8. I got to hang it 12 footers. My best job was working on a 40,000 sq ft house-(Floor Space)-well if you counted the 50 foot underground tennis court (part of the house)and 6 car garage and guest house. That was plaster and I was there with a master of plaster making cornice mouldings etc. What a house-nothing normal about it or the owner of it. Over 12 years in the making and close to 80 million. The plaster contractor was up there most of that time doing odds and ends-I spent close to 2 years up there

The quote was on a sign at my Dad's metal shop class. He taught metal shop at a High School.

Ron

Hello to everyone. I just

Hello to everyone. I just found your website and I've been exploring much of what everyone has to say. I'm considering taking a class to be sure. I see that much of what is asked is often replied to with the phrase, "Wait for the class." I think I would consider taking the class if I knew about possibilities for purchasing logs. We put together a tipi years ago and went out to find our poles on National Forest land, cut them, drug them to the road, put them on my truck etc. I don't think I'm up to that kind of hauling anymore. I don't really trust my "eye" for good logs either. So, are there ways to buy logs that are already chosen by those with experience, and have them transported to the building site for a reasonable price? Certainly there are many log trucks in our area, but the idea that they might haul specially chosen logs for a private party would surely be something out of the ordinary.

Don't cut and haul your own...

Don't cut and haul your own logs, unless they are on your own property. Even then, LHBA strongly recommends leaving the logging to professional loggers. It's one of the most dangerous jobs there is. (History channel is doing a new series about logging called "Ax Men", very similar to the Ice Road Truckers and Deadliest Catch series.)

The do indeed go into detail in the class about different avenues for accquiring logs. Some avenues are cheaper than others, and there's some market savvy / luck involved too. But I would concur that you should have no trouble finding logs in Idaho.

Those loggers you see in the area? Put yourself in their shoes. Which job would you rather do: the same old mill run with all their paperwork, or that hippie building a log cabin who is paying CASH, hehe. I can't divulge all of our super-sekrets, but just use your imagination a bit. If what you will pay them is slightly better than what the mill will pay, whose job do you think they are going to take?

We're In The Dry - Finishing Is MY Job!

Hello everyone! I'm finally getting my dream home although it had to be slightly downsized. My husband and I sold our last home in August and are in the process of completing our log home. Because of health and age, we chose to have the heavy work done by Satterwhite Log Homes (a good choice if you are 65-70 yrs old and one of you is disabled). Our interior finish material arrived today (snowing in Texas today) and I am really excited about getting started. For those of you that think a log home is too expensive, you just have to consider what you're getting. Our budget is set in rock so we have no buffer for extras which means I watch the $$ really close and have had to make hard choices in order to achieve our dream. Would love for everyone to follow our progress and comment/ask questions if you have them. Catch our videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/mayosdream

Ellen Mayo
    Building Your Dream Home
    http://buildingyourdreamhome.us

logs

You are in Idaho-You should have no problems getting logs. I had a quote by the ton.
    The logs were 30-50 feet long some longer. Tops no smaller than 10" most 12"
    They are called house logs. I think he quoted me (edit$265 a ton. I had to look it up)and less than 20% moister content. This price did not include delivery. You should not try to build a home unless you take the class. I read these posts and some custom home contractor signed up for the class/Why? Because he is smart for 1-it is not the same as building a conventional house. My question to members are is the class a write off on taxes-I am a contractor and it is school-maybe I could write my trip off also??
    Ron

carmen o intro

Hi, My name is Carmen O. I've been looking at this site now for over a year. My husband and I were looking for a way to build a home inexpensively, and we were interested in log homes. I started looking at kits (NOT inexpensive!) and ran across the site. I've been hooked ever since. I was signed up for the class last year about this time, but then realized that I was pregnant. Since I'm the "builder" of the family, I didn't want to be pregnant and lifting logs, etc, so I backed out. Now that I've delivered our third baby, I'm ready to go again. I'm totally addicted to this idea of a "real" log home. I have a few questions about log home construction in Manitoba. Does anyone know about building code or log availability in Manitoba? Are the "rules" different up here than in the states?
    Thanks! I'm really looking forward to continuing reading on here.
    Carmen O.

Hi, ya'll

I'm Bryan McGuire, I was in the spring 2006 class. Starting to get serious about building. I figure it will be another 3 years before I'm out of debt and have the capital to start, I'll have my land in the Missouri Ozarks paid for this year God willing. The land is 15 acres about 5 miles from Norfolk Lake, I hope to split the land and put cabins on both and sell them both. I'll start simple and do the 30x30 on the first one like Ellsworth advised, no fireplace, pier foundation.
    Does anyone know the tax ramifications of splitting land and selling 2 cabins. I know if you live in a residence for 2 years and sell and reinvest in a new residence you don't pay capital gains on the appreciation. What happens when I build two cabins on one parcel, then sell them seperately? I've started buying tools and materials, I've got my 8 triple 6" blocks, thanks to this site and ebay. I'm kind of in a fix though and will possibly have to retake the course, hopefully you'll have the DVD published soon Steve. Anyway, the wife threw me out Chrismas 2006 and at the same time threw out about everything I owned including my workbook from the course. Suprisingly much of the info we learned is availble in the forums
    I guess I have a lot of questions, here are a few more. Anyone here use strap hinges from a barn, you can get em real cheap off ebay $10 or so, I'd like to buid my own doors. I was wondering about the consequences of using the drive in pintels, these hinges use. With the massive overhang from the roof the wood probably stay dry and wouldn't have to worry about rot, I don't know. Maybe they compromise the intergrity of the wood that they are driven into though.
    I've seen a thread on digging your own well, know anyone that's done it? and how about doing your own septic? If the cabin weren't for re-sale I'd go with a composting toilet and save a bundle. Remember this is the ozarks, no permits needed down here. I could live in a tar paper shack if I wanted to. I just don't care for an out house.
    As far as logs, I haven't decided between utilility poles or logs. I can get logs cheap from my wifes nephew, yes we're still married. He's a meth addict but I can still get good logs from him. I just better not ask any questions about where they came from. The thought of having pre-pealed logs is appealing :), I could probably get my poles from the same source tracy used, from what I've read she is in the same neck of the woods.

Anyway, God bless

Bryan...

You might want to copy and paste your questions into the member's Log Home Construction forum where it will be easier for folks to answer.

Introducing myself

Just wanted to introduce myself and get my first post out there. I am enrolled in the April 19-20 class and cant wait. I am in the United States Navy working for a Special Warfare Unit as an electronics tech here in Virginia Beach, VA. I have a little over a year left in the service and after I get back from my last deployment my family and I will be moving to southern Colorado and buying a 35 acre piece of land. I love the Navy but I think it is time to go. I have 3 children now and I don't want to raise them in the big cities and leave them at a moments notice and not know when I will return. I would not change my 6 years of service for anything though. My wife and I were both raised in rural Kansas and miss the atmosphere of small community and can't wait to get back to a simple lifestyle. We have been dreaming about and saving for a log home for almost 5 years and hope to do most of all the construction ourselves and debt free. As a matter of fact this is how crazy we are. In order to save more money we are living in a 32 foot long travel trailer on base with 3 small children. With rent at about 1400.00 for what we would need here this is a pretty good alternative. Sometimes it can get crazy but we both know that we are doing it for the right reasons and love the fact that we are teaching our children to work hard, be financially responsible, and take care of what you have. You don't find most of these trait's in most of today's kid's and I am very proud of mine. We are so excited to start the next phase in our life and can't wait to build our lifelong home.

Justin Kline

Short Introduction

Hi!
    Wahooo! I'm currently driving truck over here in Iraq, one of the guys I'm working with told me about this site, and that's all it took! I wasn't a member for an hour before I signed on to take this upcoming class in April, plus, two more will be attending with me as well, our excitement swells everyday with new ideas as we read all the blogs here, we really can't wait.
    Besides working in Iraq, I currently reside near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, near Spokane, Wa. It's definately a growing area, I think these homes already fit in quite nicely with the development that is occurring. Any questions, please feel free to email me at Yetiboy_7@Yahoo.com -

With growing anticipation-
    Always,
    Axel