Page 302 of 304 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304 LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

loghousenut,

We just signed up for the class, last weekend. With all that's going on (and my wife's crazy work schedule), haven't had time to start it yet, but hopefully will do so, within the next week. Looking forward to that, too!

Going down to the property tomorrow and Saturday to enjoy some beautiful spring weather (finally!) and get started on more projects. May do a little logging - limbing and cutting up downed trees - not felling them. But that may be in the future.

Aaron

Rick,

Really nice place you've built for your family up in Okanogan, real nice. I'm sure they enjoy it a lot. I think that's about the best I've seen a shipping container look (no offense to those building actual residences from them)! We're in your area often, as Olympia is about halfway between our current house and future log home, plus my Mom also lives in Olympia.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    Yeah, it's got the 3.0. Researching it, I think I had the problem where the back cylinder next to the crossover pipe gets too hot- my valves burned up in that cylinder. I bought a new motor off ebay and plugged it in. And re-routed that pipe down away from that cylinder.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
    Ok, you have the early 95, pre Tacoma, ie VZN110L model (door jamb sticker) Probably the R150F 5 spd, 4:30 axle ratio... I cut my teeth on these. A tech during the headgasket recall era, I got that down to 3.5 hours.

No, burnt vales are just usually not enough clearance. They are shims and so they get neglected. Measure them stone cold, you will find intakes will all be fine, exhaust can get snug. If too tight, the valve doesnt fully seat, but still runs good, and by not fully seating, its unable to get rid of the heat in the valve top. For that small time its close, its losing heat to the head. Usually about 150K to 200K on an engine that has had its oil always changed ie no abnormal wear. The normal wear is to get tight. Abnormal is to get looser.

Shims only get so thin in size too, I have seen where the smallest shim made is still too tight. Means valve has burrowed it way too deep and no shims made. They get too thin, they will kick out or be lower than the bucket. I have access to factory manuals, I can send you a nice chart to aid in picking the right shims too.
    Rick

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm
    "Ride for the Brand"-- its the code of the west.

Quote Originally Posted by aaroncgi View Post
    Rick,

Really nice place you've built for your family up in Okanogan, real nice. I'm sure they enjoy it a lot. I think that's about the best I've seen a shipping container look (no offense to those building actual residences from them)! We're in your area often, as Olympia is about halfway between our current house and future log home, plus my Mom also lives in Olympia.
    Small world Aaron, isnt it. Hey. that container is just a quick look at my style. I am super picky about everything I do.

Aaron, I am here to tell you. Oregon gets lots of fires in the summer, especially eastern Oregon. As someone who almost lost it all twice during one fire, give yourself enough space between vegetation and home, gravel doesnt burn and baffles on gable vents, hardi soffit for under eaves, metal roof, all trim angled to shed blowing spark, no firewood on or under porch etc. Dont rule out plumbing under eaves with small holes drilled into it to turn water on to wet eaves in the event a fire does come your way. I always wanted a cabin nestled under the trees, till the fires came, got an emergency group of friends, took emergency time off work, we went into the gates of hell, smoke so thick, you could cut it with a knife. No living things seen except aggressive yellow jackets and aggressive flies biting at dry skin on my elbows. I cut way back, then next spring, in came load after load of gravel.

My truck smelled of smoke for several months and forest fire doesnt have that nice campground wood smoke, it stinks, its different.
    Rick

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm
    "Ride for the Brand"-- its the code of the west.

Rick,

Yes, both Oregon and Washington have had lots of big fires in recent years. That's all good advice about house design and vegetation placement. Our house will be sitting in the middle of a three acre clearing. We'll plant many new trees and shrubs as we see fit, but all keeping in mind maintenance, access, and fire protection. We're definitely using a metal roof; it just makes the most sense to us, for many more ways than fire safety. A cabin nestled under the trees is a beautiful thing, and usually, we don't have to worry about fires on our side of the mountains. But, the summers (2019 excepted) do seem to be getting hotter and dryer. We can always make a tiny little cabin in the woods, that isn't our primary residence.

Hello from AK,
    Just finished the online course in record time. Great information and well presented. Thank you for opportunity. We’re looking to start building in a year or so. We’ll have an unobstructed view of Cook Inlet and 5 volcanoes from our great room so we have to match the majesty by building a log home with the biggest logs we can find and afford. I’m all about DIY so this construction method is a perfect fit. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard Mr. Fire. I also just took the course... from Skip in 1981. You'll like it here.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Greetings,

My uncle is the town historian having written 5 books and has helped restore 5 structures in town. Hard to walk in his foot steps... but I do love history. Currently restoring a fishing cabin on the family farm.
    -Randy

Hello Everyone,

My Name is Bill and I recently joined LHBA and completed the class. I’ve been following LHBA for over 10 years educating myself on the building techniques and comparing them to others. My goal was to learn the best system so when I was able to move forward with my dream, I was well prepared.

I’m an avid outdoorsman and am often found in the mountains and backwaters of Maine. My dream of having a remote log home in Maine has never left me. As unpredictable as life can be, I am now able to make that dream a reality. I have a solid skill set in carpentry, electrical, plumbing, masonry and so on.

I’m currently looking for land and have a few parcels that I’m looking at that might work. My goal is to get land purchased by the fall.

I will post on my progress and help out others as much as I can along the way.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Thank you for all your help.

Bill

Blog Entries
    How come I am just now seeing this and how come everyone is waiting for me to welcome you home? Must I do all the heavy lifting around here?

How about you get situated over on the member's side of the forum where the action really happens and then we can properly initiate you.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.