Page 300 of 304 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302 ... LastLast
Results 2,991 to 3,000 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

LHBA Member
    All those pictures showed up on my end. And your website works too. I'd love to pick your brain about the website a little bit.

Blog Entries
    I don't see a website but I do see a problem with those photos. What's up with all the gravel? We want to see either mud or dust. I see no old trucks or piles of tires. And where is all your junk lumber that is too good to burn until it is to rotten to burn hot?

That painted container building has a better roof on it that my town's Post Office building and as for that fence around the solar panel, well I have seen less secure airfields at USAF SAC bases (look it up Bo).

I want you to fit in here but you have to meet us half way. Try to tone it down on the civilized photos and please, please, please, no photos of a shiny new truck.

You are welcome.

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I don't see a website but I do see a problem with those photos. What's up with all the gravel? We want to see either mud or dust. I see no old trucks or piles of tires. And where is all your junk lumber that is too good to burn until it is to rotten to burn hot?

That painted container building has a better roof on it that my town's Post Office building and as for that fence around the solar panel, well I have seen less secure airfields at USAF SAC bases (look it up Bo).

I want you to fit in here but you have to meet us half way. Try to tone it down on the civilized photos and please, please, please, no photos of a shiny new truck.

You are welcome.

LOL, like your humor. Oh, when I was building it, July of 2008, it was dust, locals call it moon dust. Consistency of brown flour and no matter how easily you stepped, a plume of dust rose up. When it became wet, it was slippery and stuck to your shoes.
    Most of that gravel was a result of the Okanogan Complex fire in 2015, it almost burnt the entire place, twice in one fire. Several came together, Northstar fire chewing its way and was meeting Okanogan complex. As it was making its second attempt to burn me out, it had come down the mt peak chewing its way towards me and 1/2 mile away, a monsoon downpour of rain snuffed the entire fires out over there. I have my twin brothers ashes over there, he is my gate keeper and is keeping it safe.

Just before all that, I went over to clear back brush and trees, I had lots more trees close to cabin. I moved it all back, brought in about 250 yards the following spring. I had a full thinning operation last spring, my forest needed attention, was full of thick stands of small trees, stressed and falling victim to western bark beetle. This was mainly for fires too. The state of WA DNR picked up 75% of that cost, just under 50K, my cost was about 13K. The cutter was a former USFS wild land firefighter and loved my decor and theme. I met him in person. So after he did the job, he sends me a link, a commercial video for his biz and asked me if I recognized the place.

I'll post a map of the burn and the small dot is my 40 acres, and a link is below in my sig file. Scroll down, you will see the link for "Wildfire Home Protection Video" right under his logo and link to his biz. The video was 95% shot on my place. He was kind to obscure my signage etc to not reveal my location.

Attachment 4141
    Link above is the fire map, that burn area is huge.
    The reason for all the gravel is "gravel doesnt burn"
    No more wood piles on my porch or under the porch, even gable vents should have baffles, blowing sparks enter, start attics on fire. Trim should be beveled on the top to roll off sparks, cement board trim against house from porch, special deck coating for fire resistance, I did the obvious, cleared all brush back, graveled, raked all those ponderosa cones.

The well enclosure, my front 20 is fully fenced, but if free ranging cattle do get it, they rub up against it and destroy it. They are heavy and very powerful animals, one doesn't realized how bit they are until closer to them. Reason for the fence. I do not leave the panel in place.
    Attachment 4137

I did have a huge box full of lumber scraps for firewood, its an apple box and its full or bits, and a squirrel nest some where at the bottom. I have a full footer/stemwall foundation, that is a plus on fires.

A picture of one area at the cabin before thinning and after.
    Attachment 4135

After thinning, same exact spot. Yes, that is snow last April. The barren landscape under the trees was lush green pine grass within a month, never has it looked so lush.

Attachment 4136
    Last edited by DoubleJRanch; 03-15-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    Rick

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm
    "Ride for the Brand"-- its the code of the west.

... and please, please, please, no photos of a shiny new truck.

You are welcome.

It was new, 10 yrs ago when I bought it new, but still looks the same today.
    Attachment 4138
    Rick

Blog Entries
    I like the pallet box and the ugly shipping container but that truck has California money written all over it.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I like the pallet box and the ugly shipping container but that truck has California money written all over it.
    That pallet box is an old apple box, its now full of scrap lumber for my woodstove and houses a bunch of chimpmunks under it. They also managed to dig under my container and reside in there. I screened off the fork pockets, but they just dug under it. Not hurting anything, so I am going to leave them be.

As for Cally $$, no way, local boy, been here in WA my entire life, born in Seattle, moved to Shelton as a kid (logging town), now reside in Olympia. Been in the southern puget sound area all my life, 3 generations on both sides come from this same area. Both my grandfathers retired from Boeing. Not a big city liberal at all, very conservative, love the woods, like shooting, log homes, cabins in the woods, hunting (but havent hunted since started cabin, spend all my vacation time there now). Mechanic by trade, but a master at many other areas too. Metal fabbing, leather carving, plumbing, electrical... That cabin, I built (I know, not logs, but...) container set up...
    My last metal project, a pile of steel turned into this.
    Attachment 4139
    Attachment 4140
    Last edited by DoubleJRanch; 03-15-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    Rick

Blog Entries
    We'll all talk it over behind your back and decide whether you are too fancy for us or not.

I'll admit, you do a fair job of defending your honor.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Rick don't worry about the nut
    I think you've already got his number but if not he will grow on you. Just wait, you'll be begging him to write a book like the rest of us do. I don't know why he doesn't now that he is finally living in his beautiful unique log house.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    Rick don't worry about the nut
    I think you've already got his number but if not he will grow on you. Just wait, you'll be begging him to write a book like the rest of us do. I don't know why he doesn't now that he is finally living in his beautiful unique log house.
    I appreciate anyone with a good sense of humor, I picked up on that quickly . Heck, I am going to threaten to invite him up to my place this year, show him around. If he likes junk in yards, he will love the locals. LOL. loghousenut, headed up end of april, june and august. Pick one, PM me, I'll give you a date and location. Besides, looks like he has a few Toyotas, he has to be OK in my book (Toyota dealer tech by trade)

Now I'd like to see members threads for their builds, are they in the members only section or in the public section? I figured there would be a specific location. Looking at build photos from start to finish would be nice to see.

I'm new here, but enjoying this place a lot.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJRanch View Post
    Besides, looks like he has a few Toyotas, he has to be OK in my book (Toyota dealer tech by trade)

Now I'd like to see members threads for their builds, are they in the members only section or in the public section? I figured there would be a specific location. Looking at build photos from start to finish would be nice to see.

I'm new here, but enjoying this place a lot.
    There are lots of build threads, but probably only on the members side. You’ll like mine (AZ Ranch) especially because I had a Tacoma all during the build, and now I traded it for a Tundra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro