Page 289 of 304 FirstFirst ... 189239279287288289290291299 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

LHBA Member
    Thanks for the note. I'm getting that about the trees/not felling. Hear allot about permit stuff. Had a friend buy in Shasta Co. Calif. Most regulated county in Calif. So, looked to Idaho. No regulations or permits required. Specifically Boundary Co. Love it. Sorry. I didn't mean to rub it in. I just like to let others know. Controlled freedom i know, but atleast very little here.

LHBA Member
    Very nice picture. Could not post one yet. Anyway, have been perusing these pages. Lots of learning and absorbing. Thank you all.

Blog Entries
    Anna, I don't have much to add but I need to keep my post counts up. I have a reputation to defend.

PS... You shoulda made it to class this past weekend. I hear it was a good one.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Hello loghousenut. Yes we both debated about the class. Take it or not take it. We had already planned in being in Idaho that time period. We wanted to have all the info ready in hand to show, explain, talk about, etc. to the main folks. I didnt catch their names. Sorry. But to the Skip Ellsworth legacy ontakers, I'm in on this. My husband was convinced too. Anyway, knew a man up there where you are, Elton Frank. Probably with the Lord now. Love your quote. Learning from that. I love to share info. Sharing is caring. So, will help defend your reputation. Love to post some pics but cant yet. TTYS

Yes, the areas that you can still do as you please without permits, awesome!

My wife works downtown, and we like to be closer to an airport to travel to visit family, so we are in a county with lots of rules. Give and take. Still cheaper than California or Colorado.
    Many plates from those states moving in this year.
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Anna, definitely take the class. If you took the class and slept through the boring first two days of it and then went home and got your hands on the "member's only" side of this forum, you'd be money ahead.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

LHBA Member
    Hey All --

After taking the class in June 2016, we finally have land and are prepping to start our build this year. (Insert fanfare here.)

I've been lurking here on the forums for a while, but I thought it might be time to introduce myself. I'm SW of Denver in the foothills above Sedalia, CO. We're on 40 acres of pine forest adjacent to Pike Nat'l Forest. I'm hopeful that we can get most of our logs off our property and from neighbors. We're looking at mostly Lodgepole and Ponderosa. The area was logged about a hundred years ago, so the trees that were too young for harvesting then should be about right now. They won't be huge, but 18" at the butt end should be do-able, right?

Our property has a small house already so we're able to live here while we build. It's tough, really. Oh, and my dh and I both work from home. So tough. So, we're finalizing plans, combing thru county regs, and counting our pennies as we move forward.

We went up to meet Jarrington over the weekend and to see his build! I've always heard that size doesn't matter, but after seeing his Englemanns, I'm not sure... Looking forward to connecting with other CO folks, too.

Here's a pic of the view from the current house just for attention. Stop on by if you're in the area!

--DearMyrah
    alittlefarm.com
    Someday, I hope to be as cool as you all.

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard, Dear! Goodlooking view you have there. We live up a north facing canyon so the only far off view we have is the weather directly overhead and a few stars at night. Yes, 18" logs will do nicely but if you come across a pile of 24"ers, don't pass them up.

My names Kevin I am 30 years old from MA/CT border. I have been pointed towards building my own log home. My boss whos 67 said he stumbled across it years ago and that if he was 20 years younger he would be doing this. So anyway, my drive is that I want another pup. I recently (2 months ago) had to surrender my 20 week old Belgian Malinois who I spent every waking hour with to the Quincy MA police department because he wasn't working with my ex (she wasn't working with him either, wasn't the pups fault)...id never give up a dog but due to my connections with law enforcement it made it easy as that dog was meant to have a calling in law enforcement. Anyways, after splitting up with the ex gf which was smooth and mutual I moved back home with parents. I just picked up a second job to put money away to fund this project. I plan on buying in the area I am from and building a 30x30 log home with a half second floor (loft) and a basement. I want nothing more than to own my own place and another dog (the dog was my calling and everyone could see it) I always wanted a Belgian malinois or dutch shepherd after seeing a dutch in the old neighborhood I lived in and seeing how intelligent she was. I also plan on attending the seminar but probably not till next year so until then, ill read and read. I have looked a few lots with a great selection and abundance of useable lumber.

Blog Entries
    if he was 20 years younger he would be doing this.
    Everyone who sees my home says this. We cut about 75% of our trees from within 600' of our build site. The rest were from less than a block away.

I have all the boards for my decking up on the roof now- I needed 24 more to close up the gap over the ridge pole. It looks like I might be completely closed in either tonight or tomorrow. It's been a wonderful and extremely challenging yet extremely rewarding experience. I imagine not many things you do in life will be worthy of remembrance by your grandchildren, but building your own home with trees you cut and peeled yourself is definitely one of those things.

You'll have more than enough reading to do until the class. I suggest signing up ASAP- they usually announce class dates 6 months in advance.

I'm also a fellow dog lover. Welcome!
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df