Page 269 of 304 FirstFirst ... 169219259267268269270271279 ... LastLast
Results 2,681 to 2,690 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Welcome to the forum everybody. Stick around and keep reading.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    Trevor

Hi all,

New member from Sacramento checking in. My wife and I are in escrow to buy 7.5 acres in Northern CA. We've been looking for years and finally found an amazing piece of property a little over an hour from our house. It has a seasonal creek going along the North side of the property and a year round creek going through another part of the property. It's at about 2,000 feet in elevation and has hundreds of large pine trees, which has us now thinking of a log home.

We'd like to build a vacation house on the property within the next 3-5 years. If we like spending time up there it might be where we'd retire to in 20 or so years. Even though a log home wasn't on our radar, after seeing all the trees we're beginning to think a log home would be appropriate. We'd really like to be able to use the trees on the property to build the house with. But I understand there are some things we'll need to consider if we do this.

It's been interesting to see all of the log home options from buying the shell and having it installed to doing it yourself. We've remodeled several homes before so I feel pretty comfortable doing a lot of work myself. I also have a friend who's a general contractor and he has built homes from the ground up too. So I feel I have the resources and ability to do it myself, I just don't know if that's the direction we want to go.

Fortunately, we'll have a few years to think these things through. In the mean time we'll need to clear a tremendous amount of undergrowth and clear a home site. The property is on a hill/ridge with the water running by below. We'd like to build where the house will over look the year round creek below.

I look forward to following this forum and hopefully learning a lot more.

Blog Entries
    Consider taking the LHBA class and building your own log home with your own hands. Your Grandkids will never forget you.

Yes, you can do it. We are just up I-5 from you if you want to check out our build.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Consider taking the LHBA class and building your own log home with your own hands. Your Grandkids will never forget you.

Yes, you can do it. We are just up I-5 from you if you want to check out our build.
    LHN = everybody's cheerleader on this forum. LHN's the one that inspired me. Took the class this year after lurking and 15 years of research into whether building your own log home was possible. So far, I've got 40 logs up on racks, another 7 on the ground, and about 20 to go before I can start stacking. Most people are smarter than me- they get their logs delivered. Welcome to the forum!
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    LHN = everybody's cheerleader on this forum. LHN's the one that inspired me. Took the class this year after lurking and 15 years of research into whether building your own log home was possible. So far, I've got 40 logs up on racks, another 7 on the ground, and about 20 to go before I can start stacking. Most people are smarter than me- they get their logs delivered. Welcome to the forum!
    I chose to build one because my therapist advised me to get in touch with my inner masochist.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    I chose to build one because my therapist advised me to get in touch with my inner masochist.
    I'm his inner masochist, and so far he has avoided me ever since he went to class.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I have been watching this site for years. I wished I'd attended when it was close in Washington where i live. I know when Skip was alive, it was held in Monroe? I know he moves to the Phillipines and hjs since, passed away and now his son has taken over. I am glad to see they offer classes that are not on the crowded 3 day weekends, ie memorial and labor day etc. I may attend the one in Feb, hashing out logistics now.

I own outright, 40.52 acres of timberland near the Okanogan National Forest. I have a solar well on the place, have been developing the land for some time, its 2 20 acres lots side by side. I just purchased the second 20 in 2014. It has about 95% Ponderosa pines, rest of Douglas Fir. I had a well drilled back in 06 one year after I bought the first 20 acres. I have just recently trimmed out the well with a solar livestock well. Basically, I flip a switch, water runs out at about 2.8 gallons a minute. The front 20 acres if fully fenced in with 4 runs of barbed wire. I will fence off the newest addition soon.

I have a cabin I built myself on the front 20 acres. I only contracted out the foundation and the metal on the roof, rest was done by myself. I used a full footing/stemwall with no outside crawl space access. I pulled permits myself. I purchased every tool a contractor could use, air nailers of every kind, table saws, worm drive Skil, Multi tool, sawzall..... but made sure everything would run off of my Honda EU2000i generator.

Anyway, I still have the itch to retire into a log home. I have the land, I have the timber, I have plenty of space. I retire in 6 years, wife retires the same time. So I want to build out log home myself. Wifes family is all brick/stone masons, so that will help out loads.

I have pictures of my gorgeous stick built cabin, but not sure if I can post them without them being on a server.

Go for it. I started mine when I was 64 and finished it in 2 years. I have since retired and love every minute of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Double_J_Ranch View Post
    I have been watching this site for years. I wished I'd attended when it was close in Washington where i live. I know when Skip was alive, it was held in Monroe? I know he moves to the Phillipines and hjs since, passed away and now his son has taken over. I am glad to see they offer classes that are not on the crowded 3 day weekends, ie memorial and labor day etc. I may attend the one in Feb, hashing out logistics now.

I own outright, 40.52 acres of timberland near the Okanogan National Forest. I have a solar well on the place, have been developing the land for some time, its 2 20 acres lots side by side. I just purchased the second 20 in 2014. It has about 95% Ponderosa pines, rest of Douglas Fir. I had a well drilled back in 06 one year after I bought the first 20 acres. I have just recently trimmed out the well with a solar livestock well. Basically, I flip a switch, water runs out at about 2.8 gallons a minute. The front 20 acres if fully fenced in with 4 runs of barbed wire. I will fence off the newest addition soon.

I have a cabin I built myself on the front 20 acres. I only contracted out the foundation and the metal on the roof, rest was done by myself. I used a full footing/stemwall with no outside crawl space access. I pulled permits myself. I purchased every tool a contractor could use, air nailers of every kind, table saws, worm drive Skil, Multi tool, sawzall..... but made sure everything would run off of my Honda EU2000i generator.

Anyway, I still have the itch to retire into a log home. I have the land, I have the timber, I have plenty of space. I retire in 6 years, wife retires the same time. So I want to build out log home myself. Wifes family is all brick/stone masons, so that will help out loads.

I have pictures of my gorgeous stick built cabin, but not sure if I can post them without them being on a server.
    Yeah,you are a bonehead... You shoulda taken the class in 1981 like I did. That means there is no hope for you and you will die a lonely old man in an apartment in Sultan (that's Washington... look it up Bo).

Blog Entries
    Or you could take the class and get on with your life before you really are a lonely old man in that apartment in Sultan. Imagine how old you are going to be in 10 years... now imagine how old you'll be in 10 years if you take the LHBA class in February.

If you get with it right now, you'll most likely be done before I am and I am currently really old.

Life is really good, either way... Take the class, JJ