Page 197 of 304 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberwright View Post
    Mark and his wife will have to practice on a smaller scale on there own, and they can learn, and touch base with whom ever they meet here (Like minded) and at this school in Vegas. As far as blowing you, or anyone off, I wont. You all are very much on the right track with what Ive read in your forum, for what you want to do!!!. Nothing is gained by any kind of a pissing contest. I know that most of you, as you've stated are going after your dream of building your own log home! Most of you this is, or was your first Log, or home build period! Bless your hearts! Ive delivered your dreams, and mine to hundreds in my 33 yrs of building Log structures, from Pro Bass, Forestry, Mansions, to the personal warm cozy log cabins! Its a life we all choose and in that, we all win....
    Very respectable and well stated, thankyou
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

Thank you.

Blondie

Your all very welcome group! I look forward to telling him and his wife to get to class! He knows its hard work, and I know he will love it like I do, it isn't a job, its living all of our dreams together, some are just brave enough to do it themselves like you guys do,,, bravo forum.

Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for your positive encouragement for what we are doing here. It is rare that we get that from a " pro".
    I would enjoy seeing some of your work if you have photos.

Mark and his wife will have to practice on a smaller scale on there own, and they can learn, and touch base with whom ever they meet here (Like minded) and at this school in Vegas. As far as blowing you, or anyone off, I wont. You all are very much on the right track with what Ive read in your forum, for what you want to do!!!. Nothing is gained by any kind of a pissing contest. I know that most of you, as you've stated are going after your dream of building your own log home! Most of you this is, or was your first Log, or home build period! Bless your hearts! Ive delivered your dreams, and mine to hundreds in my 33 yrs of building Log structures, from Pro Bass, Forestry, Mansions, to the personal warm cozy log cabins! Its a life we all choose and in that, we all win....

Thanks, and I would be delighted to post some photo's. I am carving a Scan Full Scribe Bar today for a new home were snowed out of up north. I will take some photo's. I will also pick some others photos to post. As it pertains to the attitude of a professional Vs whom ever. In my view, and it has been my experience that respect is won and lost both ways! Be proud of what you guys or anyone is doing, but be forever reminded that all the methods in building log structures comes down to each of us as individuals being safe, and building it as instructed per plan. As far as what method is the best, that is of your individual taste and what you want! Timber applications very with every style. In all cases it will come down to the integrity of the structure, and its efficiency in many respects as YOU build it. I could go on for hours, but I wont. I have get carving.... type with ya later today....

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries
    Mark and his wife will have to practice on a smaller scale on there own.
    Generally, our first build is a shed or some other small building... I built a shed for my well that includes a second story with a queen sized bed. The real strength of our way of building are two things, IMHO, the walls do not shrink (the logs do of course) and its well adapted for low skilled builders. My chain saw skills are or were poor but I can drill a hole and pound steel with the best.
    Dave
    --> The unaimed arrow never misses....
    --> If can, can. If no can, no can... Hawaiian Pidgin
    2011 video http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...a413d0d0a&sb=1
    2006 to 2009 video http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s274/flintlock1/
    If you are gonna be dumb, you better be TOUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock View Post
    Generally, our first build is a shed or some other small building... I built a shed for my well that includes a second story with a queen sized bed. The real strength of our way of building are two things, IMHO, the walls do not shrink (the logs do of course) and its well adapted for low skilled builders. My chain saw skills are or were poor but I can drill a hole and pound steel with the best.

That is how I learned Dave, my Grandfather made me rebuild it three times as I remember it. (Just walls) I was 13 yrs old and I was only building 4 ft walls with "I think" 6 inch n-pine. It was a 6 ft by 6ft stack on dirt that i had to wedge after my first round. I remember I couldn't keep end center lines lined up (Center of Log), Oh boy looking back I was sure he was messing with me then, but he wasn't, he was teaching me the trade. I'm grateful everyday for that! Growing up under his heavy watch as I would screw up here and there was memories I will never forget. I remember him telling Grandma, "dont worry about firewood for for every mistake he makes he loads in the truck for firewood. By the end of my first summer working we had a few cords of firewood. lol

Is it peeled firewood. . That would be some clean firewood. Here is a pic of my first build. It's 10x10 tool shed. It's not complete. On outside it needs chinking. But I'm working on it slow. I stopped at one point and put all effort in the 2100sf log home, second pic is where I'm at now with a house. Thanks for your stories on learning your trade.

lol, it was indeed, and guess who peeled most of them, ya me! Your rustic B/P 10x10 looks pretty clean. Good Job!

Here is mine and I was of very little skill before and maybe even afterwards, but I ask and can follow directions, I had to have my logs graded and needed engineer wet stamp for my plans, it is over kill for sure. Here is my sort of finished home, still have wrap around decks and some other basic stuff, but it is doable even for someone like me.

Last edited by dazedandconfused; 02-16-2014 at 07:52 PM.