Page 196 of 304 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by rocklock View Post
    I knew nothing about almost everything. I took the class in May of 04. Started with the beginning of the forum... My first post was in this same thread about clearing land... on page one...
    The point is if your willing to work hard, smart and use the knowledge presented, a rather good looking home can be the result. We are here to help. See my video and realize that I could barely operate a chain saw when I started... OBTW, I just turned 70 this month so age has little to do with building... Attitude is everything.

Great Work in your Vid, and your attention to detail is perfect!

I have supplied Mark and his wife all the tools he will need to satisfy your timberwright shop steward, and I got them Husqvarna safety gear for Christmas. They have a couple of my Chainsaws to work with, one to carve H-T445, one for heavy work H-XP-562.
    A few questions, is testing done by a structural forensics log inspector? How long is the class? Cost? What species and size will they be cutting, carving and stacking. Will they learn UBC Log requirement for there State or in general? How much of the course covers Grade Beams, steal tying, form setting, setting bolts, Pier Caps, and plan reading? and thanks for all of your responses.....

there in Western Co, not sure what county, and Im not sure what there codes are there. I built a log home in Vail and they had great inspectors, but weak on code compared to Ca.

Blondie, thank you for your post, a question? Did you type or miss type that the class was over a weekend?

I will eat my hat if this goes anywhere positive.

Timberwright,

The guys are giving me a bad time because they figure that with your experience and bright mind you will blow me off. I am going to take a big step and say that the class is a two day class over a weekend. Does it teach EVERYTHING we need to know about building a log cabin, of course NOT. But it does give enough information that you know where to find help. These blogs on the member's side are a great sounding board for those of us who need help. Please realize that "we" are not selling anything. No one will have their hands out for money or try to talk you into anything. Taking the class is your decision. IF you decide that the class has not been worth it you may ask for the tuition back. To this date no one has.

Blondie

Blondie You have my greatest respect. You are kind and helpful.

Log Al

Thank you Blondie, I appreciate your candor. Again thanks. For Mark and his wife this might very well be a great base for them to push on in building there log home. Thank you all!

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    As Blondie said(sorta), it is impossible to learn everything you'll need from a 2 day class, I was not expecting that. However, after I took the class it gave me a complete different perspective on getting this done, all in a positive way. It showed me that anyone can do it with no experience like me. I think with too much knowledge it may muddy the waters a bit for a first timer so if Timberwright keeps that in mind for Mark and his wife, all should work out fine.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

Mark and his wife will have to practice on a smaller scale on there own, and they can learn, and touch base with whom ever they meet here (Like minded) and at this school in Vegas. As far as blowing you, or anyone off, I wont. You all are very much on the right track with what Ive read in your forum, for what you want to do!!!. Nothing is gained by any kind of a pissing contest. I know that most of you, as you've stated are going after your dream of building your own log home! Most of you this is, or was your first Log, or home build period! Bless your hearts! Ive delivered your dreams, and mine to hundreds in my 33 yrs of building Log structures, from Pro Bass, Forestry, Mansions, to the personal warm cozy log cabins! Its a life we all choose and in that, we all win....