Page 103 of 304 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Thank you!

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I do have to admit that not having to notch the logs makes me want to investigate the butt & pass style.

I nearly forgot. If anyone would like to see a couple of pics of my Great-Grandfather's log house (as well as read a little bit about him) you can go here: http://www.oldstagecoachstop.org/webgeezer/Gazette07/Gascozark.pdf

The big picture of the farm can also be found here: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg283/ramcharger_dodge/Vintage%20Pics/Jonesfarmpartial.jpg
    The log house is in the foreground with the semi-circular porch. Directly behind is a 2 story 3-car garage with an upstairs apartment. In the extreme background of the picture you can make out a road running across the top of the picture. This road is Rt. 66.

I hope you enjoy the pics.

great pic's and wonderful story!

Thanks for sharing it! such a sense of history your place has. in one of the pictures it sees as though our grandfather's place was butt and pass. in the pic described as 'a group arrives outside the log lodge....'.

I wasn't too fond of butt and pass in the beginning either but now I'm not only convinced that its the way to go, but I actually prefer the loo:)

welcome!

Blog Entries

Did I hear you say cedars?

Hey Jason, Welcome to the forum. So what size are those cedars? Also how about a photo or two of the log mansion in its present state of disrepair. Seems to me like you have quite a legacy to live up to. I'm lucky... all my ancestors were failures.

More thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by panderson03
    in one of the pictures it sees as though our grandfather's place was butt and pass. in the pic described as 'a group arrives outside the log lodge....'.
    Sorry, not a butt & pass. It is what I think is called a tenon joint notch. Similar to the way toy Lincoln Logs go together. The logs are spiked together and chinked with concrete. Here is a better photo that might show some better detail: http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg283/ramcharger_dodge/Vintage%20Pics/Groupinfrontofloglodge2.jpg
    This photo also gives you an idea of the size of the house. I can imagine it was quite something in rural 1920's Missouri. Supposedly it was the first home in the county with indoor toilets. And prior to rural electricity, they had 3 gasoline generators powering the house with 28 volts DC! My Great Grandfather had experience with "electrification". He was contracted to install electric streetlights in small towns in Anderson County Kansas (where he was born) early in the 20th century.

I can't imagine how much work it would have been to build the place by hand, without power tools (remember it was the late 1920's, there wasn't even electricity!). I actually even have 16mm film of it being built. The basement was poured wheelbarrow by wheelbarrow. All the notching would have been of course done by handsaw and chisel. I really need to get the film converted into DVD so I can share it with others, maybe even get it hosted online.

Loghousenut, we have acres upon acres of Eastern Red Cedar of all sizes. I'd say the bigger trees are around 24" at the base but most average around 10-12". Most of them have a pretty good taper, but there are some with a pretty straight trunk that (to me anyway) would make great logs for use in a log structure.

I'd better stop as I could ramble on for hours...

And again, thanks for the welcomes. :-)

gascozark what a lovely heritage!

how great that you not only have these great pictures but also film!! that's unbelievable! you are very lucky!

quite right. I see its not BnP. Thanks for pointing that out.

let us know when you make your decision. to build or not to build. BnP or not BnP.

good luck!

Hello From Virginia

Hiya everybody,

We are Will and Julie + 6 kids. We are modern era backwoodsmen. We enjoy the nostalgia of yesterday's living couple with a real need of simplicity. We have 8 acres of land and are going to start building a 6 bedroom cabin this fall. I have to say hands down throughout all of my research this site is beyond informative and a must read for anyone who desirs to build their own log home! Nice job guys!

Nunnallys

hey! where in VA are you? I am down in Roanoke building right now!

what ever you do...

Don't ever take the class!

You'll never stop kicking yourself. ;)

Sounds like you won't make any major mistakes, and you have kids to help out too...Why 6 BR? if each kid gets their own, then you'd need 7. Is one going off to college soon? If so, you'll have even better (older) help.

-Peter

Heartland

Hey teatime, I thought I was the only one from this part of the country that wanted to build a log home. I was beginning to think I was going to have to move out of Oklahoma to build the home I am dreaming about. I have not taken the class and it looks like it may be a while before my husband and I will be able to get in on one. We are looking for a peice of land and have gotten some helpful hints from this site. We're city people that are running as quickly as we can to get out! :-)

Introductions

Hey everyone, I'm just in the planning stages of building a cabin I don't even know were yet. Anyway you have an amazing site with beautiful cabins. Awesome for research.

Jack Hunter