Page 102 of 304 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Thanks

Thanks for sharing

hello

Saying hi to everyone. We are not so new to this web site, having found it over a year ago. But are finally in a position to purchase land and begin building. So, now we are here with more serious intentions!!

Looking forward to learning from ya'll, as we say here in tx.
    teatime

My wife and I are flying in

My wife and I are flying in to Seattle this month from Kentucky. We are looking to start building this fall. Will we have to take copious notes or will we be receiving written materials?

Class

I took the class in April - there is a note books with drawings & lots of explanations - but you will also want to take some yourself - just to clarify things in your own way! Enjoy! You will be very glad you came!

scale model

Hey Steve,
    did you ever get to build you scale model?
    If so post a pix.
    T.

Introduce Yourself

Howdy all!

I was looking around at land with log homes to see how feasible the costs were for our future dreams and stumbled on this website. I am so excited and can't wait to attend a class. I sometimes think I should've been born in an era long ago as I long for the ability to do for myself and have life skills to teach my children. I have a desire to get back to the basics as our world is so fast paced. Hopefully my dreams will be realized soon. I would love to build in 3 to 4 years. We'll see where our dreams take us!

Tracie

New guy from Missouri...

Hi folks,

My name is Jason and I'm from South-Central Missouri. I have been wanting to build a log home on my 450 acre family farm on the Gasconade River. I have been contemplating/mulling over/thinking about this for several years now. I had originally planned on purchasing a kit, but haven't really found what I'm looking for. Even before I found your website, I considered trying to tackle building the house myself with logs sourced from our property. I thought that maybe it would be too big a task to tackle until I poked around on this site a bit. I'm starting to think that maybe it is something that I can do myself. I am a pretty handy guy with tools and such (being a mechanic by trade). I have cut firewood for my family for more years than I care to remember. I have a Logosol M7 sawmill, so I am familiar with handling logs. And most importantly, I have 450 acres of every type of tree that you'd find in central Missouri. Including an over-abundance of Eastern Red Cedar. I have built a few things out of Cedar and really enjoy working with it.
    Coincidentally, we actually have a log house on the farm. It was built in the late 1920's by my Great-Grandfather. It was a pretty substantial structure for central Missouri at the height of the Depression. It is around 3000 sq. ft. with a 900 sq. ft. great room. It is built from Oak logs harvested locally. Tragically, it has fallen into quite a state of disrepair (it's a long story dealing with uncooperative family members) and I'm afraid that it's fate is probably sealed. One of the only positives from the old house going downhill is that I can see several places in the construction that I would do differently if/when I build my own log home.
    One of the things that I'm not sure about is that most of the folks here seem dead-set on using the butt & pass corner style. I'm really not that crazy about it myself (I'm more of a traditional style kind of guy), but...that being said...I'm not going to say that I can't be convinced/converted.
    I look forward to visiting with folks here and asking for advice and/or opinions.

Thanks!

butt and pass

well like you, i was not to thrilled with the butt and pass style at first-and thought this site was a "gimmick".? the butt and pass has more advantages than disadvantages.

no settling...means no roof jacks ... no key-ways above windows and doors. NO wood on wood--no notching and hacking into your logs. that alone could make a class last a couple of months/plus add tons of back breaking hours to your build (not for the beginner)

this is truly the best method of building a log?home.

living in Portland, OR & building in Ashford, WA

welcome Gascozark

welcome Gascozark,

I definitely think you can do this. My husband and I had no experience building before, but we have now mostly built a small log structure and are ready to move on to a full size house, starting to peel logs now.

I really had an open mind going in, really just wanted a house made of logs and wasn't sold on any particular style.

Your Great-Grandfather's house sounds really cool.

2 cents

LHBA Member

Jason, If you've been a

Jason,
    If you've been a mechanic, and have run a sawmill, I doubt you'd have any issue doing your own build. Sorry to hear about your Great-grandfather's home, but now you have a chance to leave a legacy, too. I am building now in NC, and I have altered the stock plans (like most I'm sure) to better fit my environment and needs for a home. Look forward to your postings, and good luck with your decision: "To build, or not to build".