Page 101 of 304 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Blog Entries

drtechs - Welcome neighbor

I'm still living outside of Sacramento, CA but bought land in So Central Oregon. Welcome to the family. When will you be taking the class is the first key question?

Hey Steve Came across your

Hey Steve
    Came across your site becauHey Steve
    Logged onto your site because I am not building, but am think of buying a log home that was disassembled and moved then reassembled on site. The ad reads ?The logs are pre-Civil War and were disassembled from a vintage log home in Columbus, Wi. The logs were incorporated in to the structure of this home in 1986.This home was built by a master log home purist." About 6 years ago the mechanicals were updated or replaced. I have read a lot of your posts but I do seem to be lacking the a b c s of log homes. I?m hoping your team of experts can give me the 411 on what to look for and what to expect. I can send pics or post them if possible

I don't think we can comment

without copius pictures. in general, we don't like homes that can be disassembled. I recommend taking the class, as it may save you the cost of making a mistake.

-Peter

LHBA Member
    Somewhere between SanFran and Sandpoint...

civil war logs

Quote Originally Posted by softail
    Hey Steve
    Came across your site becauHey Steve
    Logged onto your site because I am not building, but am think of buying a log home that was disassembled and moved then reassembled on site. The ad reads ?The logs are pre-Civil War and were disassembled from a vintage log home in Columbus, Wi. The logs were incorporated in to the structure of this home in 1986.This home was built by a master log home purist." About 6 years ago the mechanicals were updated or replaced. I have read a lot of your posts but I do seem to be lacking the a b c s of log homes. I?m hoping your team of experts can give me the 411 on what to look for and what to expect. I can send pics or post them if possible
    It's probably worth taking a look at, if nothing for than curriousity. Depending on what they mean by log home purist, this guy might have built something great. Chances are probably more likely that there will be maintance issues over time.

The LHBA techniques focus very heavily on building in such a way that minimizes maintaince over time.

But now that you're here, you can always consider building your own :)

Reclaimed logs

There are a lot of businesses that go around and reclaim wood from historic ruins. My neighbor's house in Oppenheim was built in 1830 and all the large timber beams in the roof are solid and the pegs are tight. However, the basement beams are a different story. They've been exposed to too much dampness and are soft and slimey. There were two old barns on the property and salvagers came and bought the huge floor planks to use in some famous person's house who was renovating. So you might see a house with some reclaimed or salvaged logs or beams or plank flooring out there. Old wood could be very distinctive even if it had had past infestations and is now clean of pests. I tore off damaged veneer from an old sewing bench to find interesting worm patterns on the cherry wood underneath.

I have to say though...we have some people on this forum who really know log homes, but a master log
    home "purist"? What's dat????

Frances

Hello everyone

My name is Matt and I am from the Pacific Northwest. My wife and I are expecting a child this September and I am interested in learning to build a log home for my family. I enjoy reading, listening to music and being outdoors.

Took the February class.

Took the February class. Well worth the drive up from Oregon. If you're wanting info on building log home, spend the money and take the class. You won't be sorry and after the class you'll have access to a wealth of information and good help. Good luck.

Introducing myself

Hello,

I have just booked my husband and I on the June course, we are both looking forward to it very much. We live in the UK and are both martial artists/ instructors. We will soon be leaving the UK at the end of the year (yippee!) to settle in the West Indies where we will continue on our martial arts journey, this course is our first step. I have been inspired by many of your members courage and conviction as we too pursue our dream. In the meantime however, we remain very much entrenched in the corporate world :-( ....... the end of the year can't come soon enough! We have no money but we have our dream!

Looking forward to meeting you Steve and the rest of the newbees!

Hi, Jim I dont know if you

This comment has been moved <a href="http://www.loghomebuilders.org/node/6412">here</a>.

Flagstaff Az. or Coconino county members

This comment has been moved <a href="http://www.loghomebuilders.org/hi-jim-i-dont-know-if-you#comment-37348">here</a>.