Page 222 of 304 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 3039

Thread: Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    Like how to stain a log home. Or how to install gutters!
    Oh, good one Rod!!!

Howdy from North Carolina

My name is Mike and I am, hold on lemme count...35 years old. Yes yes, the years are starting to fly by so quick now that I have to rely on math instead of memory to figure out my age. I am a self described hermit, and all who know me agree with that assertion. I was born in California but grew up in southeastern Georgia. For the last 14 years I have been a resident of North Carolina in and around the Charlotte area. I have traveled all over the country, and once outside of it to Ireland on my honeymoon. In all my travels my favorite place is the Pacific Northwest.

The last time I was there was 2010. My wife and I stayed in a cabin we rented within a couple miles of Mt. Rainier. At the time my wife was pregnant with our only child. I still remember waking up in the morning and going outside with some hot coffee. The sun was peeking up over the mountains to the east, filtering through the tall pines, and that sound the wind makes as it blows through the trees, the smell of earth resin and a good cup of joe.

It reminded me of visiting my grandparents as a boy in Northern California. "Grandpa who lives in the trees" we used to call him. Later they bought 10 acres in Victor Montana and lived there in a log cabin. They have since passed away but the memories are still vivid and dear to me. Even more so when I am in a place like the Pacific Northwest.

Since that visit, my wife and I have been flirting with the idea of moving there. I could easily find a job in my line of work (Database Analyst) perhaps even a work from home one. We've got to get rid of our debt first though. I ran into this site 3 days ago and since have been getting more and more sure that I could build a BnP log home. When I was 15 I helped my dad build our house in Georgia. It was an education I should never forget. Looking forward to taking the class once I have secure employment and we have made a significant dent in our debt. (I was out of work for some months and had to live off of credit cards and bank loans.) Those plus some medical bills are the only things keeping us pinned down right now as we currently rent and do not have a mortgage. I'd like never to.

Anyway, I have dreams of my own land where I can do as I please without some HoA telling me what to do. Somewhere I can raise my son Jack up in a wholesome manner. Somewhere I can shoot my firearms without the cops flooding the house. Somewhere my wife can garden. Somewhere I can build a smithy and pound hot iron into useful and pleasing things. I am glad to have found this community and look forward to learning much in the future.

welcome mike glad you found us and you will enjoy the site and its people!

Blog Entries
    Talk about fitting right in... Mike you are the one. Welcome aboard.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Welcome, "hermit" Mike. :-)

Hi Mike,
    Always good to see folks from NC on here. Welcome aboard friend. I have always wanted to visit Ireland. My southern accent was once mistaken "by a Yankee" for Irish.

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blane View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Always good to see folks from NC on here. Welcome aboard friend. I have always wanted to visit Ireland. My southern accent was once mistaken "by a Yankee" for Irish.
    Ha ha, Blane! My husband's Belgian accent was once mistaken by an old lady in California as being "from Maine." I think that means "as far away from here as you can get and still speak American"

Blog Entries
    Once had an old friend from Texas drop in for s few weeks. Several of us went rafting on a remote chunk of river. Mike was terrified of the water so he volunteered to drive the van to pick us up. We get to the pickup point and no Mike, no van. I started hiking toward town and an hour later saw the only car. The girls in the car said they had seen the van and the guy driving was lost. They were not much help because he didn't speak english. They said his name was Mack and he was looking for "Sessmull".

They gave me a ride out to town where Mike was sitting on the side of the road in my van. We drove back to "6 mile" and picked up the rest of the gang who had been waiting 5 hours.

Never trust a foreigner.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Hi...My husband and I have been agonizing over building a house for about the last 3 years. We really could not see spending that much money just to build a house. We both grew up in Kentucky, I was raised in a little house that was 14 x 20 my parents built themselves, part of my husband's childhood was spent in a log cabin his dad built. We have 2 beautiful daughters Bre 10 yrs and Hazel 5 yrs. I'm in school working on my RN, currently working as an LPN. We have 25 acres in Middle Tennessee. We are excited about the prospect of building our own house in a couple of years.

TnWalker, Welcome and glad you are here. I am new to the site, but not to LHBA. I am taking the class in February, with my sweetheart, to start our log home journey. Follow your dream of building a log home. I am betting that, after I take the class, it will feel like I stepped from an overwhelming dream, into an attainable reality.