Page 66 of 304 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Howdy

Hey all!

Finally decided to join after a couple of weeks of going through just about everything on this site haha. Currently I'm overseas doing contract work with KBR, but I'm planning to head back to Washington state when I've reached my financial goal. After finding this site (which I'm so glad I did), I've decided to build a log cabin of my own instead of those overpriced stick homes (and log cabin kits) hopefully in a couple of years. I'm so excited about the idea of building my own home! I'm hoping that the class will eventually be available again; just reading about it kept me up all night haha. Thanks for dedicating a site like this for everyone interested in building their own home.

log cabin

hey steve, how are you.

uploading log pictures

Hi Steve,
    I am new to the forum and was wanting to know how to post pictures of my logs on the site so I can get more feedback for my issues with my logs.
    Thanks!
    Smokey

Photobucket

A lot of people here use Photobucket. http://photobucket.com/ It's free.

LHBA Member

class

Quote Originally Posted by smokey
    Hi Steve,
    I am new to the forum and was wanting to know how to post pictures of my logs on the site so I can get more feedback for my issues with my logs.
    Thanks!
    Smokey
    Smokey,

Smokey, from reading another post of yours I saw that you already own a log home (I presume a kit home) and are trying to resolve problems created by having short overhangs. Anthony at http://www.bearfortlodge.com is a member who has done extensive renovation on an older log home (not kit) but he may be able to give you a lot of insight on the work he has done.

I also recommend taking the class if you ever have a chance. You might just learn some ideas as to how to prevent these problems in the future saving you more restoration headaches!

Just saying "Hello"

I've spent the last week or so absorbing the forum for non-members and searching the web for butt and pass pictures and construction examples. I think I linked into LHBA from an article I saw on building a micro-house on a trailer.

I had no Idea that log building would consume my interests and thoughts so quickly. Previously, I've always been interested in Victorian construction (I have already rebuilt my 1890s Victorian in Santa Clara.) Now, I have to build with logs. It's so perfect for what/where I want to be.

I've been looking to buy land near the Trinity river for the last 20 years or so... just never pulled a full-price trigger yet. There's been places that I KNEW I should have bought, but the time (and wifely agreement) just wasn't right. Now, I have a much stronger desire to get... out... of... this... urban... hell.

I signed up for the class notification last week (and got my wife to agree to come to the class before she really knew what I was planning! Heh. Heh.)

Now: Must... wait... for... next... class. (Hope it's soon!)

LeighG

LHBA Member

Another log bug victim

Welcome, LeighG. Sounds like you've been bitten by the log bug, but good. You'll find many like minded folks here. It's good that your wife will be attending with you. You'll both be glad that she did because then she'll understand all your crazy log speak and will be able to better participate in the entire planning/building process. Keep digesting all the stuff in the forums (there are tons of it) and congratulations on starting this great journey. If we can help in any way, just ask. Again, welcome aboard.
    JD

hello all

Ive been an avid reader of this site since i stumbled upon it while doing research for building my very own log home. while waiting for the class i have been researching materials on log home building and have found so many different techniques that its truly overwhelming. it makes sense that skips method is the best so thats what my wife and i are going to pursue. We just want to live the best life possible without having to worry about the high cost associated with being a home owner. we are so excited about building our own log home and cant wait to get started. thanks for every bodies hard work to keep this site up and running and cant wait to attend the next class and start building our log home. look forward to talking to you all. Rob

the "best" method

Rob,

Welcome aboard. There is many ways of making a log home. In my opinion, the "best" is full cope scandinavian chinkless. However, this method is very labor intensive and difficult. I can't do it, and this method will definitely do what I want to have.

Anyway, welcome aboard. I'm glad you and your wife are planning to make this endeavor. Enjoy the ride.

-Peter

not the "best"

Sorry to have to school in front of the "new kids" Peter but Scandinavian chinkless is definitely not the best method. :-P

Butt and pass is definitely the best. I like sittin' inside, looking at my corners, and seeing the logs line up. Chinkless makes the logs all staggered-looking. I hate that.

Chinkless? Puh-lease, I LIKE the look of chinking. Rock hard mortar beats the modern stuff any day of the week. The less labor the better. I want to work as little as possible on my logs. Knowing that my logs have been cut along its length would just irk me to no end.

So sorry. You are clearly wrong. ;-)