Page 64 of 304 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Introduction Post

Hello All;

My name is Tim and I recently attended the LHBA two day class this past May 24-25. I learned a LOT and am very glad I took the time and money to make it happen.
    Since I am stationed with the Army in North Carolina, I had to fly across the country for the class, camp out at Flowing Lake for four rainy nights, and deal with the ridiculous business practices of a certain car rental agency in SeaTac, but it was all worth it. I highly recommend going to this class if you haven't yet.
    I am about midway through an Army career, and find it difficult to build right now, given how often we move from place to place. I am in the process of building my model though, and having a great time with it. I will post photos as they become available.
    My family and I have been stationed in Washington and Colorado prior to North Carolina, and we absolutely miss the mountains and the DRY air! We agree that NC is certainly a less desirable place for us to live. We are hoping to retire out West when that day comes.
    In the mean time, collecting materials and tools, looking for land, and saving money. We WILL see this through!

Best Regards,

Tim

Hello from NYC!

Good people -

I'm Rob, a long-time lurker and new member as of today. I'm extremely impressed with the quality and creativity of the designs I've seen here, and they've inspired me to start my own log home odyssey. And everyone here seems really nice, which is pretty rare, and cool.

May I ask you all a few irritating questions? Any answers you might have would be so appreciated.

1. Many of you are from the South or the West coast... are there any New Yorkers among you? Or Tri-staters, maybe?

2. I'm all fired up to take a course in the next year, but I'm getting a little nervous about joining up, and then finding that there aren't any classes offered. Am I just being paranoid?

3. What (in your opinion) is the best plan-design software for the Macintosh? I've seen some of the big names, and I'm not too impressed with the quality of the renderings. Is there anything out there that really works?

I'm sorry to bother, and again, I'm so psyched to be a fledgling part of this group. Have a nice day!

- R

LHBA Member

Hi R and welcome. Don't know

Hi R and welcome.

Don't know of any one in NYC but there are two members within a short drive. Hemlock in CT (or maybe MA) and Claire in NJ. There are also several from upstate NY and a bunch of us from PA.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome Aboard Rob

Hey Rob, I'm from the Big Apple and can't wait to retire and build my log cabin in the Adirondacks. Me and a buddy just took the class in May of 08 and it was a great experience. Just take your time and go through the LHB web site and it just about answers all your questions. The members are great and friendly and also answer any question you may have.

Adam

howdy R welcome !!!!

I am from syracuse ny area . took the class in june 08 , so I am pretty new also. I am trying to purchase land about 3 1/2 hours outside nyc. I know that htere are at least 3 others in upstate ny . Pretty close to deciding on land , need perc test then decide. will keep you posted and if you want to visit when I am building you will be welcome (no work , unless you want ) . The class is well worth the wait . I was pretty skeptical ( as is my nature LOL), but Steve and Ellisworth do a great job and teach a lot. Again welcome you are in for a great ride :)
    bob

Hi. I'm Sheree.

Hi. My name is Sheree. I live in southeast Florida. I grew up in the Poconos and moved down here with my husband over 10 years ago. I can't get the mountains out of my mind and I've always wanted to live in a log home. I dream of moving to a large piece of mountain property, wooded and secluded, but not displaced from the rest of the world. I have 3 very young children and I would actually love to make the move while they are still young. We considered building a log home here in south Florida and visited a few kit manufacturers, but we found it was too expensive an undertaking here in Palm Beach County. I stumbled across this web site and now I am more encouraged than ever to keep my dream alive, and I don't think I would ever consider a kit home again.

I look forward to chatting with everyone and learning as much as I can about the industry.

Sheree

Welcome to the club.

Glad to see another bitten by the bug.

Timberwolf.

Attention sedentary LHBA members

Klapton wrote:
    Donna and I recently joined a gym, and are working to get in shape.

For everyone here who wants to get into shape before they start building their dream house:
    I recently stumbled across this website and it made me think of LHBA and how simpler, no nonsense, and cheaper almost always means better.

Basically, this guy started exercising with a sledgehammer in his home. He mimicked actual movements in real life as opposed to doing exercises. It was so successful that he now has a huge following on the Internet. It's not just the exercises, this guy has a really great philosophy. Best of all it's completely free!

You can find it at http://www.shovelglove.com

As a guy that absolutely hates going to the gym, I find this really tempting. Not to mention swinging a sledgehammer is really fun!
    The "chopping wood" exercise could be renamed "pounding rebar" in our case.

Getting to Know Me

G'Day Mates!

My name is K.W. and I just found this website late tonight through surfing the web. I have been very interested in building my own log cabin ever since I was a child and watched my grandfather build one. Since then it seems that everyone in my extended family has built one form or another of a log cabin. At the moment I am a teacher living in Kansas, but that may be changing very soon. I am going to take a road trip in early august and see where the wind blows me. I hope to find a place and settle down with my own land in my own cabin that I have built. I am said to see that no classes will be offered this year. I hope to find out all the information that I can though. That being said, if you have any tips for a begginer who knows how to work with his hands but has a very slim budget please shoot me an email. Thats all for now. May Peace Be With You.

K.W.

LHBA Member
    Somewhere between SanFran and Sandpoint...

class schedule

Quote Originally Posted by GoMoBu
    G'Day Mates!
    I am [sad] to see that no classes will be offered this year.
    Actually all the site says is that no more classes have been SCHEDULED for this year. It's entirely possible, and I'd say in fact likely, that some classes will be scheduled later this year.

I suggest you join the email list to get notification when they are.