Thread: Midwest Log Home Builder Wannbe

Midwest Log Home Builder Wannbe

I live in the Midwest, just bought 6 1/2 acres in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) outside Ely, Minnesota. I would like to build a log home too, but the Birch trees on the property are only 10" in diameter. Is that size of tree capable of log home building?

Stephen

10" at the base? It's been

10" at the base?

It's been said it can be done, but I set my personal bare minimum at 10" average, and no smaller than 8" on the little end. Not sure how rot resistant birch is either.

Log size and kind

Where I bought my property is in a birch forest, I was wondering if birch is a good log for loghome building? How did you get those logs so smooth for your loghome?

Not all is as it seems

Actually, those are pictures of my 1:24 scale model of the home I intend to build. (yes, I got a bit carried away)

A few quick web searches show birch may be a poor choice for a building material. I know the bark holds up well, (heck, canoes were skinned in it) but I don't think the log itself is very resistant. But, I could be wrong.

Now, that's not saying it can't be used. With carefully followed, proper techniques taught in the class, it will work. You just have to take care in your design.