Thread: Log home buying checklist

Log home buying checklist

Hello,

I plan to visit a log home that's on the market in New England. From the bits of information I have gathered from the seller's realestate agent, the home is less than 4 years old, it has a gambrel roof, only the first floor is log construction, the second floor may be stick construction, and it is built on a concrete slab. The home was built by the owner; I'm not yet sure if it was a kit home or not.

Question: what should I look for when visiting the home. It's not clear to me if the original owner is the current resident. So I may have to rely on visual inspection for insight as to how the log structure was built. I assume that looking at the end of the logs may help in identifying the chinkless style used (if used at all). What else should I look for?

More important than anything, thoroughly look for any water damage, stains, and rot. A thin wire, like a cake tester, is good to have to probe around suspect wood. If it's rotted inside, it'll stab in. Then check the door's and window's operation. (binding, jammed, gaps, broke) Finally mechanics of the home. (electric, plumbing, HVAC)

And I would still recommend a home inspector be hired. They really know what to be looking for. Their fees are minimal compared to what they can save you.

You may want to find out who the builder was and what type of reputation his company and his products have. And if it was a kit, what was the name of the manufacturer.

Kola

LHBA Member

log ends won't show you anything as far as how the wall is constructed. The end is cut to look good- a couple of feet in it may just be a v-notch.

If it's hand-crafted, built by a reputable builder who is in the practice of building log homes (instead of a contractor who built it but normally does stick frame), and appears in good shape, the nect thing I would look at is whether the logs are exposed to rain/splashing. If it's built on a slab this could be a problem. Moisture is the enemy. A log home that gets water on the logs is going to rot.