Hello Everyone,

I decided to post this in the general area so that the people waiting to take the class can benefit while dreaming of a log home. I'm currently planning my log home (start 2008) and came across a book that, at least for me, will save me many THOUSANDS in construction AND future property taxes :D :twisted: I checked and didn't see it on our book list and want to share this to give back some for all I've learned so far from the class and this board. I don't think it's in print anymore but I found a used copy through Amazon for cheap ($4.00). It's called "Your Low-Tax Dream Home" by Steve Carlson. On the cover it also says "A new approach to slashing the cost of home-ownership". It's not about a certain WAY of building, but of how to build to especially save on property taxes :D :D It covers ideas about green building, only building what you really need, a lot of things that we log home lovers embrace anyway. But the cool thing is this writer is a former property tax-assessor so he has an inside scoop on so many things we are kept in the dark about. I'm still reading but have already called and talked to a Clallam county (WA) tax-assessor to pick her brain. She agreed she's never had someone ask questions before they built and was most helpful and insightful, not knowing of course about me reading this book. I now look forward to the day when she will come to see my house so I can point out all the things that will keep my taxes very low. After she leaves then I can "finish" the inside :lol: 8)

I will tell you that she told me that a plain cement slab is the cheapest flooring and a tile one the most expensive. And that a few hundred square feet of floor space one way or the other doesn't affect the tax amount too much. I plan on calling her again for more questions. Keep asking and listening long enough and it's amazing what one can learn, just keep the book to yourself! :twisted: :wink:

Trust me on this as IMHO it's a must read, and hope you find a copy.

WalkingHorseLady