Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2x6 laminated house

2x6 laminated house

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer
    I don't know if the anti-spam limitations prevent you from posting pictures or not, but if you can, you simply place the BBCode tags around the address of your photos like this:

[img.]http://www.yourimagehost.com/yourpicture.jpg[/img]

Remove the period in the front tag. I put it in there to kill the tag so you can see it.

Or you could just post the photo address, and let folks click on it. BTW, I went to the DIY board, and the pictures were not viewable. (might just be my computer here at work)
    I don't think I can make 'em http: ......They are on my U drive at work. I could email them to anybody that wants them. To see them on DIY ,you have to be registered on their board.

2x6 laminated house

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Street
    Hey 4good2 -
    I just purchased a bunch of 2X12's 8ft, 10ft, and 12t from 84 lumber. They were priced at $2.00, $3.00, and $4.00 respectively. Cut them in two and you have two 2X6's. That's a dollar a piece for an 8 ft 2X6. That will make your numbers look good. That is, if you have an 84 Lumber around somewhere. I'm in Tulsa but they are all over the East.

Vern and Sara Street
    www.vernstreet.com for pix
    Thanks. Hey, were they yellow pine or fir? I'll check it out. I live near Winfield Ks. One of my 7 sons lives not too far from Tulsa. He runs a ranch about 5-6 miles from Lenaph Ok.
    I'm not near ready to buy lumber yet but I will look at all and any options. Thanks for your help.

Wow! Vern Steet. I just checked out your web page. I love your old Triumph motor cycles. I use to have a 1973 750Triumph Trident. I think I still have knee damage from kicking starting that thing. When it started it was a wonderful ride. Sold a 1983 ironhead Sportster and an 650 ATK flat track street tracker a while back and went modern with a new rubber mounted engine 2004 1200 custom. I don???t have time to ride it but it is nice. Looks like your Log Home project is well started

2x6 laminated house

This adds some merit to solid wood walls.

http://www.organicbuilding.com/index.mvc?ArticleID=81

Neat projects with soild wood walls.

http://www.organicbuilding.co.nz/organic/index.mvc?ArticleID=136

2x6 laminated house

Hey 4good2 -
    I just purchased a bunch of 2X12's 8ft, 10ft, and 12t from 84 lumber. They were priced at $2.00, $3.00, and $4.00 respectively. Cut them in two and you have two 2X6's. That's a dollar a piece for an 8 ft 2X6. That will make your numbers look good. That is, if you have an 84 Lumber around somewhere. I'm in Tulsa but they are all over the East.

Vern and Sara Street
    www.vernstreet.com for pix
    Dang! Heck with cutting them in half for that price. Make 12" thick walls!!!!!

160 ft of 10' brds (16 brds long) x 80 brds high = 1288 brds x $3.00 = $3864.

160 ft of 8' brds (20 brds long) x 80 brds high = 1600 brds x $2.00 = $3200. :shock: :shock:

That compared to a 40x40 log home (160 feet of wall) is pretty dog gone cheap! I can hardly believe that processed lumber can come though that cheap, compared to raw logs. Baffling. Are you sure those prices are right? :? That's like only $0.27 per square foot if I were to use it for roof or floor boards.

2x6 laminated house

Maybe we should keep this quiet. I want to be the first....In Kansas anyway. :oops:

2x6 laminated house

Yeah - I'm sure of the cost and my yard reflects the truth. I have 2X12's all over the place. Just bought some tarps to cover them until I start making 2X6's out of them. Maybe I ought to just make tongue and groove 2X12 decking etc. - Hmmmm

I paid $2200 for an 18 wheeler load of 2X12's. See www.vernstreet.com for a picture.

Vern

2x6 laminated house

Hey 4good2!

I seen your building style in one of my favorite movies. In Open Range with Kevin Cosner and Robert Duvall, in the sheriff's office, the jail cell walls are built from what appears to be full 2" x 6" overlapped boards. There's a clear view of this lapping on a corner to the right of the door leading into the cells.

Not sure if this was an authentic construction method back then, but they seemed to try and make the movie as authentic as possible. (of course I wasn't around back then to confirm it, :lol: but I wish I was! :D )

2x6 laminated house

Yeah - I'm sure of the cost and my yard reflects the truth. I have 2X12's all over the place. Just bought some tarps to cover them until I start making 2X6's out of them. Maybe I ought to just make tongue and groove 2X12 decking etc. - Hmmmm

I paid $2200 for an 18 wheeler load of 2X12's. See www.vernstreet.com for a picture.

Vern
    It would sure be easier to make 12" wide decking if they are straight enough to just mill a T&G or spline or whatever joint you want. Less work, more house.

Jeff

2x6 laminated house

[quote="rreidnauer"]Hey 4good2!

I seen your building style in one of my favorite movies. In Open Range with Kevin Cosner and Robert Duvall, in the sheriff's office, the jail cell walls are built from what appears to be full 2" x 6" overlapped boards.

Rod, that is one of my favorite movies all-time as well. I also enjoyed "The Missing" with Tommy Lee Jones and Cate Blanchette. They had a log cabin in that movie with an interesting twist. Instead of mortar or moss or mud chinking they had small straight saplings nailed in where the chinking is usually applied. Not saying that it is a good idea but it looked interesting. :idea:

2x6 laminated house

I haven't seen the missing, so I haven't seen the cabin that you are referring to but in my area historic cabins are typically chinked with split strips of cottonwood. I am told by oldtimers that it did not work well an the cabins were cold