Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2x6 laminated house

2x6 laminated house

Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer
    Hey 4good2!

I seen your building style in one of my favorite movies. In Open Range with Kevin Cosner and Robert Duvall, in the sheriff's office, the jail cell walls are built from what appears to be full 2" x 6" overlapped boards. There's a clear view of this lapping on a corner to the right of the door leading into the cells.

Not sure if this was an authentic construction method back then, but they seemed to try and make the movie as authentic as possible. (of course I wasn't around back then to confirm it, :lol: but I wish I was! :D )
    Funny you mention that........My wife and I watched that movie not long ago. She was out in the Kitchen and I told her the jail house was made of 2x6's.........She just kind of laughed because that is all I had been talking about for weeks. She thought I was just going more 2x6 crazy. Great movie! I wish I knew where that building is. I got my 2x6 laminated Dog House done. It turned out very well, if I must say so myself.

Professional Engineer RockEngineer's Avatar

2x6 laminated house

About 15 years ago I went to a log home show up in Abottsford Canada. There was a builder there who specialized in timber homes basically made out of 2x6 solid wood walls about 4-1/2"-6" total thickness. The walls when done ended up being similar to a tongue and groove with the center board sticking up about 1-2" above the outer boards. He had beautiful dovetail type corners interlocking. There was a large model at the home show. If you had to ask the price you couldn't afford it but it was beautiful workmanship. All his wood was specially sawn for him and was the highest quality with mostly vertical grain. It would look differently with just 2x6s or 2x12s from the lumber yard but still would be nice.

2x6 laminated house

Quote Originally Posted by RockEngineer
    About 15 years ago I went to a log home show up in Abottsford Canada. There was a builder there who specialized in timber homes basically made out of 2x6 solid wood walls about 4-1/2"-6" total thickness. The walls when done ended up being similar to a tongue and groove with the center board sticking up about 1-2" above the outer boards. He had beautiful dovetail type corners interlocking. There was a large model at the home show. If you had to ask the price you couldn't afford it but it was beautiful workmanship. All his wood was specially sawn for him and was the highest quality with mostly vertical grain. It would look differently with just 2x6s or 2x12s from the lumber yard but still would be nice.
    Do you know the name of the builder or know where I can see a picture of one of his homes? PM me your email and I'll send you pictures of my test 2x6 dog houseif if you would like to see it.

laminated septic

This is a little off topic but when reading about this topic I remembered that back sometime in 82 or so, when building a house with/for my uncle,
    We had saved up all the ends cut off the 2x4s used during construction. We took 2 3/4 inch sheets of plywood screwed together. Then nailed the 2x4s on (stacked like bricks)around the perimeter, with a divided compartment in the middle. It must have been six feet or so high. we coated the inside, and outside with black roofing tar. The backhoe set it into the hole dug for it, and its been in operation ever since. Its served a familly of 6 for 25 or so years. Total cost a couple sheets of plywood and a pail or two of tar.
    I dont think such a system would be permitted now, and perhaps it wasnt even permitted back then but it sure was cost effective.
    If its permitted in your area, its one more option to consider.

John