Thread: how to find a builder/contractor

how to find a builder/contractor

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on how to find a contractor/builder?? :?

builder/contractor

Is finding a builder even possible??? :cry: I am tring to find info. because my family will be relocating to WA and we are looking to buy land in Snohomish.If finding a builder/contractor is impossible I need to look for other options and time is NOT on my side. Any imput will be greatly appreciated.
    Thankx for your time :)

Aiea, Hi or when it's warm Camano Island, Washington
    Blog Entries

christine

christine;
    We are primarly an association of individuals that build our own homes. Have you thought about being your own GC? You can save a bunch of money if that is the case.

If that is possible, you may concider taking the class that is in Monroe Washington which is not far from you most likely...
    Sincerely
    Dave

That's a tough question for this forum, as it's mostly a owner/builder oriented group. I assume building yourself is not desirable, (perhaps due to time constraints) The best advice short of personal recommendations, is to hit the local yellow pages and find builders. Demand references and follow up on them. Though it won't really help unless a builder is a real scumbag, check with the local government to see if there is any filings against them.

Even if you do find a builder, I doubt you'll get a place built in a short amount of time, as there schedules are usually quite full. (and the good guys are always busy) I think the best plan of action is making arrangments on where you're going to be staying for now, and then concern yourself with finding a builder. (or deciding to build yourself)

thanks for your responce I will be using your suggestions.I think it is great that everyone in this forum builds their own homes I just wish there was a reliable group of builders out ther for people like me who are not able to build their own.once again thanks for your time and input!! :)

Our group is full of stories about people who knew nothing about construction and after taking the class went out and built their own home. And, if you are building in Washington, you will have many members in the area that I am sure would be willing to lend a hand or give advice. Even if you take the class and still decide you can not do it on your own, it will still give you valuable insight and knowledge that you can use when hiring a builder, especially if you decide to build a kit home.

There's bad lawyers, doctors, builders etc in all fields but imo there are some darn good ones.

I have met and hired lots of good honest builders..Word of mouth is the best way to find a good one. Always get a contract with details,( job desciption, costs, whats included etc) proof of insurance and a start and finish date.

I started learning how to build and repair things myself after I found out the thousands (and ten thousands) of dollars I could save by doing it myself. And there is a hidden value in saying you did it yourself. Sigh!

Kola