Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well House Heater

Well House Heater

Quote Originally Posted by nobleknight
    01-18-07

Rod,

I would like to post a picture from ms paint, but do not know how to get it here. I know you are a professional at paint.

Tom
    nobleknight
    class 01-15-07
    With the picture saved on your computer, (saved as either a .jpg or a .gif file, NOT a .bmp file) you will have to upload it to a website which allows photo hosting. I prefer www.photobucket.com (free service) Once you uploaded the picture, it will show up on the website. Beneath the picture, there is a "url" address. If you click on the address, it should automatically copy it. (a little window pops up briefly stating "copied") Then all you have to do is paste that address between "IMG" tags, and your picture should appear.

Sounds worse than it is. After you do it once, it's easy.

Well House Heater

01-18-07

[img][/img]

Wow! I am out of the tech loop. Well here is a 'rough' sketch of my well house. The object to the left is the well head. It runs underground to the well house. It makes a 'T" connection to service the cabin, pasta shop, and fill the well. It has a slopped roof for run off. It measures 43"W x71"Lx 26" H . It is insulated R14 on all sided. I still get pipe freezing. Water tank is 3000 gal. Do you think the flame idea could work with out fire damage?

Tom
    nobleknight
    class 01-15-05

Well House Heater

I'd get rid of the insulation on the interior if you go with the flame. No sense risking your trouble of fixing it all if there was a fire. Maybe a metal box with a thermal break or insulation on the exterior if you could assure that the box would not get hot enough to ignite the insulation. Especially if your tank is plastic or fiberglass.

Jeff

Well House Heater

Quote Originally Posted by nobleknight
    Do you think the flame idea could work with out fire damage?
    Yea, I don't see a problem with it. You could have the flame housed deeper in the draft tube, (if you decided to use one) but could be harder to light. Or add a coffee can shroud, with both ends cut out. It's only a small flame, but you might want to suspend a piece of sheetmetal directly over the flame to disperse heat concentration above the flame.

You know what would be ideal? If you got an RV place nearby, go there and get a dead gas refrigerator from them. (preferably for free) Usually, these fridges are garbaged because the ammonia lines are either clogged or rusted out, but the burner assembly is just fine. Just remove the whole burner assembly, and you should have yourself one factory built, small flame heater, with ignitor, and flame height control. It might require 12 volts, depending on how fancy a unit it is, but you might get lucky on an older, totally self contained model.

You should probably monitor the temperature for a little while to see how it works out. (too little, or less likely too much, heat) Some cheap digital thermometer with a remote sensor is all you need.

Well House Heater

Here's a small Propane Ceramic Heater. Runs 27hr on a 16.4oz bottle. You could probably get a connector and hook it up to one of the 20lb tanks.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5034A729&categoryid=3000

Well House Heater

Good find. Those things don't work well on a small bottle, but connected to a 20lb+ tank, they will. I use to carry a small heater like that on job sites, just to try and keep my hands warm when wiring panels in the dead of winter. The problem was, the bottle was small enough that the pressure drop rate was fast enough to cool the propane further, to the point that there wasn't enough pressure to keep it going. It's a problem that wouldn't occur on a large tank.

A pound a day isn't too bad. Figure 20 days on a regular tank, and even further if Tom turns it off on warmer days. Might even be able to just cut it back and stretch it to 30 days continuous, but you'd have to be a bit careful not to back it off too far where it might extinguish itself when the pressure fluctuates. (propane pressure is directly effected by temperature)

Well House Heater

01-18-07

I guess I can get a hose extender of sorts, and set the heater inside the well house. The tank can sit outside no problem. Nights are the real problem here. Sometimes it can reach 50F in the afternoon, and drop like a stone to 5F by morning. Turning it of during the days would also save a lot. I may make a shroud to direct the heat away from the roof.

Thanks for the input everybody. :D

Tom
    nobleknight
    class 01-15-05

Well House Heater

Tom,

How has that heater been working out for you?

Well House Heater

02-11-07

As luck would have it, the temperature has not dropped below 30F. I am ready for the next drop in temp. Thanks for asking.

Tom
    nobleknight
    class 01-15-05

LHBA Member

Well House Heater

My neighbor. in Chiloquin Oregon utilizes a Lightbulb in his well pump house. He has the bulb in side of the box that he places over the pump.
    The light bulb is connected to his solar system.
    That seems to work well for him. It's great having a neighbor
    that has lived off grid in the area where I will be building for over 20yrs full time that can share all his knowledge with me.

Regards, Tim Dubar