Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question to Graduates of the Class

Question to Graduates of the Class

I'm signed up and registered for the November 11-12 class, (just waiting to hear back from them) and have a question for those of you who have already taken the class.

Is there anything you wished you would have brought to class with you? Anything you wished you knew or researched before class? I know laptops, cameras and recording devices are not allowed. But is there anything else that you wish you would have thought of? For example: rough sketches of what you want to build, etc.,

From the sounds of it, a notebook and pen seem to be all I need. Just wondering what the rest of you think, now that you've taken the class.

A good pair of walking shoes. You will enjoy the class. It is very informative.

Thanks Oneshot, that's pretty much what I figured. I can't seem to stay off the site for long lately. Just reading and re-reading everything. Has anyone invested in that list of great books that are recommended? I just got paid and am tempted to have an Amazon.com spending spree!

I just found out a guy from work took a log home building course. I told him about Skips and he thinks his teachers learned from Skip and started their own school, possibly. I won't post the link here unless told it's ok. They give students the "hands on" approach, which I know Skip doesn't use, so I was wondering if they really were graduates of LHBA. I can send someone the link if they want to take a look at it to see.

once you take the coarse you will understand why there is very little hands on required. I feel completely confident that I will be able to build my home myself.

When you do come out for the class in November I would recommend a good water proof jacket to keep you dry in the rain. This class is well worth dodging a few rain drops for.

I would agree with the rain coat because i've heard that it rains a lot. However we were blessed with brite sunny days the whole time. Not sure why we got so lucky.

Keith where are you located in MN

Keith, where are you located in Minnesota? A friend and I are putting on our first logs tomorrow (9/30/06) near Mora,MN. We took Skips course last November in 2005. Maybe you can visit our sight for some"on hands experience. You will understand what we are doing and why after the LHBA course, the time in class will fly by. I cant wait until its my turn to build. :D

Mark

A flashlight would be nice for the HILL or ahead lamp.

I was at the Sept 9-10 class and aside from a notebook and something to eat for lunch, I came with an open mind. I had preconceived notions of how I wanted to build but during and after the class I realized that Skip's method was pretty much fool proof so why mess with a well thought out and proven way of building. It's good stuff!

Steve

LHBA Member

Keith,

There are 2 items that stick out in my mind as needing.

1) Pair of slippers or sandles or clean shoes to wear inside the house. (Which I did take) Its no major deal because you can just walk around in your socks.

2) Flashlight. (Which I did NOT take) Both days I was the last to leave the class. Usually several hours after it ended. And it was very dark walking down that hill late at night.

If you can take a few extra days and enjoy the area. Unfortunately I couldn't at that time but I would highly recommend it. And if you think you are excited now wait till after the class!