Thread: Help?? New construction and expectations check

Help?? New construction and expectations check

Looking for needed insight and help. Located in Southwestern PA. Wife and I are interested in getting out of our high rent district (selling our home) and going more rural with some property. Formal retirement is close.

Houses with property we've looked at in the SW PA area are way overpriced (> $500k). Looking to downsize the house a bit (<2000 sq ft, maybe <1700 sq ft). Would like to possibly build. Wife likes the log cabins she's seen and is pushing me in that direction. I've looked at plans and kits.

I'm an engineer but I've worked mostly in the industrial world and don't know much about residential. Also started my career in the electrical craft many years ago. If I buy the property first, is that the best to go assuming access to municipal sewage or the property passes a perc test (also gas, water, power, etc.. readily available and appropriately zoned)? Are there contractors that I can work with as a GC that can handle helping me through the process?

The target is building for a TPC (Total project cost) in the $300k-325k range. Is it doable? Am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance. -PR (email: rileypt@ieee.org)

Is the$300k including property or not? That will vary greatly depending on location.

As far as building Lhba style, that's a healthy budget. But, it depends how much work you plan to sub out.
    Also depends on how nice of finishes you want(granite etc)

If I hire something out, it's going to cost 5-10x more what I can do it myself.

It can be hard to find contractors willing to work on custom log homes because they simply aren't familiar with them

If you are serious about it, take the class. It's worth it.

We are building our second one. Anyone can do it. It's not easy.

jandjloghome.blogspot.com
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

LHBA Member

Help?? New construction and expectations check

We are in the process of building a small log cabin the LHBA way. It is a lot of work but really not that difficult. We have never built anything of this size ( mostly chicken coops and dog houses). It has been just my wife and I on the weekends ( and not every weekend). We are glad we made the choice and if you are smart with getting tools and materials your budget will be more than enough for the build. Take the class and get access to other side and you will have a lifetime of question answering from all of the members that have had the exact same questions.

Some pics of what we have done. So far we haven’t hired out any contractors and we have building permits. We will have to hire out the HVAC and electrical because of our jurisdiction but I own my electrical business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jgrajiola; 06-15-2023 at 05:40 PM.
    The Grajiola Family

Blog Entries
    We are living in the LHBA log home that I'll eventually die in. It's great. Our total build cost was much less than your budget, but there was a good deal of sweat.

If you have any interest at all in building your own house with your own hands, you should take the LHBA class. I don't have any answers about contractors or your other questions because I have never considered doing it that way.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    $300k is your budget? wow. you could build 5 of mine for that price, lol (pics in tagline)

(I say go for it).

BUT:
    - it'll be rewarding and frustrating at the same time (but not as frustrating as trying to fix mistakes your subs make when you're not looking)
    - it'll be a strain on your marriage (because it will take longer than you promise her it will, but stick it out, and it'll work out - just plan on it taking twice as long as you thought it would before you cut your first log)
    - An engineer, you say? well then you already know all the jokes. And: you get to actually have a NEED for a hard hat. probably.

Don't do a kit. for the love of Pete, please don't do a kit.
    Last edited by mudflap; 06-16-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap View Post
    Don't do a kit. for the love of Pete, please don't do a kit.
    Peter here. I concur. What Mudflap said.