Thread: Dish about your solar system

Dish about your solar system

Would love to hear about your solar systems. I'll start.

We have 9 370 watt panels on an array/ground support facing south south west that allow us to change the angle so we can adjust the angle of the panels to accommodate the changing angle of the sun. We have 4 12 volt 200amp LiFePO (SOK) batteries.

We'll likely be doubling our # of panels and # of batteries this year. This new bunch of panels will probably go on our south-facing deck roof.

How about you?
    Last edited by panderson03; 02-03-2023 at 06:34 PM.

LHBA Member
    We have 12 300 watt panels in a ground support array facing pretty much due south. There are 2 200 Amp 24 volts (in series = 48v) batteries. It is ample for us most days, but we do have to turn on the generator a few times in the winter, if there are several days without sun. Otherwise, even a little bit of sun charges the batteries up very quickly.

Like you, we now imagine adding to the system eventually to power the air conditioning during what can be brutally hot summers here.

Forgot to mention that the batteries, charger, inverter, etc. are all Victron - very happy with that brand.
    Last edited by sdart; 02-01-2023 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Adding brand name

LHBA Member
    Let's see some pictures too, please!

LHBA Member
    I prefer your design choice. I like having to use the generator a few times, so I know I didn't over-build and over-spend. By the time I need to upgrade due to future "toys" like a Polaris Ranger side-by-side (electric), I will have a clear idea of how much more.

We have 12 panels on south facing roof, 235 watt.
    Four LiFePO 100 watt batteries, Outback 3600 watt 48 volt system; with 11k backup generator. If the panels are snow-covered for a couple days then the generator kicks in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We just got our new solar power system fully operational this month. We have six 235W panels in a DIY rotating ground mount, feeding an MPPT charge controller in our cabin/tool shed. This charges our two 25.6V 100AH LiFePo4 batteries, which are in parallel for a nominal 24V system of just over 5 kWh total storage, plenty for our current needs. We have a 3000W sine wave inverter for the AC output, which I will soon connect to our load center (breaker box) for five AC circuits. 12V loads are handled through a DC-DC converter.

Our first iteration of the system was an old car battery (maybe 0.45 kWh storage), charged by either a 100w or 250w panel (in not much sun), running a 400w inverter. So, our new system is a pretty significant upgrade. It will be nice to be to run pretty much any tool without having to break out our monster generator.

This is just for our current situation at the property. At this time, we don't plan to use solar power for the future house, because it would be cost and size prohibitive, for several reasons. Might still think about setting up another small solar power system for our well pump house, if battery prices continue to drop and/or we decide to use something other than LiFePo4.

Here are a few images of our current digs. Excuse the messy wiring. This will be cleaned up as I get a few more things in place.

Last edited by aaroncgi; 12-20-2023 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Adding more text

Blog Entries
    That's a fine looking setup.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Very nice, looks like a great spot in the woods!

jandjloghome.blogspot.com
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/