Thread: White pine siding flooded by Hurricane Ian, is it still usable?

White pine siding flooded by Hurricane Ian, is it still usable?

Hi,

I'd appreciate some expert opinions here.

My log home is under construction. The log walls are up and the foundation was high enough that they weren't impacted by Hurricane Ian flooding.

However, my builders left the pine siding boards stacked on the ground, and they have been flooded with saltwater, twice (two tides) for several hours each time.

Will this cause lasting damage or are they still usable?

Thanks,

Beachbum

I would not let the builders use that in the house, just imo.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Thanks Shark,

So... I'm not asking for legal advice, but generally and historically, if supplies are damaged due to a builder's neglect (I did warn the builder when officials started warning of potential flooding, days ahead of the event), who pays for the cost of replacing damaged materials?

Blog Entries
    I'd trust Shark's advice over my own in this case (not a chance in hell of hurricane flooding here), but for me, I'd tend to just look it over and make the call. A bit of water could add character or make for a twisted up mess.

Either way, it's probably the most important problem on the build.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Thank you loghousenut, appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
    Thanks Shark,

So... I'm not asking for legal advice, but generally and historically, if supplies are damaged due to a builder's neglect (I did warn the builder when officials started warning of potential flooding, days ahead of the event), who pays for the cost of replacing damaged materials?
    That's definitely a "depends on the situation and location" question.

Did you buy the material and bring them to site yourself? Or did the builder purchase and deliver?

I'd say that should be on the builder, if not, (and depending on the amount of material) hopefully you have course of construction insurance/ builders risk insurance or similar.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

The builder purchased and delivered it... and it's been in place for about 9 months due to building delays. It's been one delay after another.

We do have builder's risk and flood, not sure of what the deductibles are though, checking into that.

Thanks again for your thoughts and help!

I’d stricker it to dry and use it. Wood gets rained on all the time never Helier’s anything. Maybe the salt will help preserve it lol.