Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint, err, stain oh so very confused

Blog Entries
    It's kinda like having a St Bernard that sheds a lot. If you'd asked me earlier I'da suggested a sweet little Chihuahua with short hair and no slobber. I know you are asking for the cure but, like the dog issue, the cure can feel like slicing off your favorite appendage with an old tuna fish can lid.

It is something to live with. Unless the roof is thrashed, it won't make financial sense to put a bigger roof on it.

The wrap around porch is probably the cheapest way to control water hitting the walls and it would only help the resale value.

The "stain" is an issue that comes mostly down to aesthetics and long term plans. Here at our place, my Wife makes those decisions.

The deck should not touch the log walls unless water never, ever pools there, even a little bit.

Then there is that darned existing rot. That stuff is more painful than eating cherry pie with your dentures out and finding all three pits in one slice. It just has to be completely found and completely fixed.

It can be as simple as carving out the outer parts of the log and filling, either with new wood or epoxy mixed with new wood. I have done epoxy repair using this product..

Heck, we haven't even started ot chemical treatments. No rush. They are not the cure.

I'm sorry I'm not more help. It sounds like the former owner tried to talk you out of it. I had a first wife like that. She was pretty high maintenance and every true friend I had tried to warn me. It's been almost 50 years and I am mostly over the painful parts.

https://www.rotdoctor.com/

The proper method involves hoitsing the wall, removing rotten logs, and setting the wall down again. It is nice to know where the wiring and plumbing is for this task. I've done it. It's doable but no fun.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Conroe, Tx/Building in Marshall,NC, north of Asheville
    loghousenut really has some knowledge and a good explanation. I cringed when I saw the picture, I really couldn't imagine having to fix that. Addressing the cause would be first. If it were me, I would try the digging out method, having to raise the wall could open up a can of worms, just my thought, never done it.
    Ken and Audra Dinino
    "Determined to build my log home before I leave this world"

I spoke with the home manufacturer. They said cut the bad out, use sledge hammer to drive new in, no hoisting of walls. They were the ones that told me the paint was causing the rot. Said stain will allow then to dry and not rot

Blog Entries
    Find some owners of the same style of build and see if they have some insight.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo1306 View Post
    I spoke with the home manufacturer. They said cut the bad out, use sledge hammer to drive new in, no hoisting of walls. They were the ones that told me the paint was causing the rot. Said stain will allow then to dry and not rot
    My next door neighbor had similae issue as picfures above. Rotting due to poor roof design.

They replaced a lot of logs as you said and added a wrap around to fix porch. On top of that they walnut blasted the entire thing then stained it. Now good as new

I think they put about 40k into it back in 2018, northern wisconsin.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

So the only answer is “deal with it”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colored stain looks just like paint, smells like paint (water based laytex) and goes on like paint. If it was paint vs stain, it would of all peeled off by now in sheets. Stain is a better option. I see cracks in the logs, no sealer on them. Like any siding, joints, seams all need to be checked and sealed. Lack of overhang and the rot being where it is, could be water splashing on deck, it will usually hit the siding up about that distance. I see algae growing on the deck too, so is this a shady moist side of the home.
    Water stains are visible running down the siding. What do the gutters look like.

The good news is, you have a dowel pin home with no saddle notches, butted into a timber in the corner. If you can get the same size dowel pins, you can probably remove rotted ones and slide in new. Or could frame it in with dimensional lumber and then just replicate the outer contour and screw it onto the framing, so be like a faux log.
    Last edited by DoubleJRanch; 09-03-2022 at 08:56 AM.
    Rick

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm
    "Ride for the Brand"-- its the code of the west.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJRanch View Post
    Colored stain looks just like paint, smells like paint (water based laytex) and goes on like paint. If it was paint vs stain, it would of all peeled off by now in sheets. Stain is a better option. I see cracks in the logs, no sealer on them. Like any siding, joints, seams all need to be checked and sealed. Lack of overhang and the rot being where it is, could be water splashing on deck, it will usually hit the siding up about that distance. I see algae growing on the deck too, so is this a shady moist side of the home.
    Water stains are visible running down the siding. What do the gutters look like.

The good news is, you have a dowel pin home with no saddle notches, butted into a timber in the corner. If you can get the same size dowel pins, you can probably remove rotted ones and slide in new. Or could frame it in with dimensional lumber and then just replicate the outer contour and screw it onto the framing, so be like a faux log.
    What is best for sealing cracks?

What is best for sealing cracks?

Personally, I like DAP 230, it comes in clear, white, brown...
    Its acrylic laytex, lots of elasticity so holes during movement from expanding or shrinking. Any crack on top of logs and joints should be sealed.

Best to do it after its been really dry for a long time. I just used it on a log project and I also used Behr outdoor solid color stain in water base. I had it custom mixed, stains can be mixed for color just like a paint. Seals the wood. I have some check cracks show up, I sealed them, lots of overhand, I sealed them more just for appearance.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJRanch View Post
    Personally, I like DAP 230, it comes in clear, white, brown...
    Its acrylic laytex, lots of elasticity so holes during movement from expanding or shrinking. Any crack on top of logs and joints should be sealed.

Best to do it after its been really dry for a long time. I just used it on a log project and I also used Behr outdoor solid color stain in water base. I had it custom mixed, stains can be mixed for color just like a paint. Seals the wood. I have some check cracks show up, I sealed them, lots of overhand, I sealed them more just for appearance.

That looks just like the “stain” on my house, same color too. It seems to act like a paint, ie traps water behind it.

That looks just like the “stain” on my house, same color too. It seems to act like a paint, ie traps water behind it.

How does a stain act?

You mention looks like paint. I did say it looks and smells like paint, it goes on like paint, but its a stain.

You mention same color too, I saw different color and very thin coat. Who colored it, ask them.

I wouldnt put it on wet wood, make sure you material is dry, then seal it. I have about 7 picnic tables that set in the weather all year long with no issue.

Traps water behind it? How is water getting behind it?

I'm not sure if you here for help or just to argue.

I see this all the time at my job, people are upset about something then "bark" at people trying to help because of being angry at the problem. And then dont really listen to anything anyone is saying.

Good luck, I'm done.
    Last edited by DoubleJRanch; 09-09-2022 at 04:49 AM.
    Rick