Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint, err, stain oh so very confused

Paint, err, stain oh so very confused

I purchased a log home back in November. I love it. The previous owner complained about replacing rotted logs often. It was built in 2000. Now it has Behr brand “solid color waterproofing stain” on it. It says stain but I am fairly confident it acts as a paint. I think this is the reason for the rotted logs but new to this I am learning. I hope I don’t have to strip and re stain the home as there is a lot of surface area and it will be very expensive and time consuming.

It could be the finish, but it also could be lack of proper over hangs, lack of gutters, etc.
    What type of logs, and do you have pictures?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    It could be the finish, but it also could be lack of proper over hangs, lack of gutters, etc.
    What type of logs, and do you have pictures?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I repaired and cleaned several of the gutters and it needs 2 more installed as the builder didn’t for some reason. I am not sure what type of wood, I don’t think it is cypress. I understand that ”paint” can allow moisture in but not out and rots the logs. I have pics let me see if I can figure out how to post them

I can’t upload photos, I think its because I’m new

Blog Entries
    It's not because you're new, it's because you're stupid.

OK, OK, you're certainly no stupider than I am. If you are doing this on your phone, downloading the app Tapatalk will make photos a breeze.

If you are on a big screen computer, try Imgur and see if that makes it possible.

One way or another, unless we have an address, we can't see the place.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There! I never used tapatalk before.

Blog Entries
    I hate being the bad guy but someone has to start the discussion.

Unfortunately, I fear this is a system failure that is common in the kit log house industry. We, here on this forum all have one thing in common... we are all building a non-kit log home to avoid several of the problems that you have inherited.

Before we see more photos I'll take a stab at your home's problem.

1... Your "logs" have been milled on the tops and bottoms where they rest on each other. The horizontal joints are flat, fitting tightly together. Any water that finds a way to that joint sucks itself in as far as it can and tries to stay there. It then promotes fungus that promotes decay.

Test this theory by putting a 2x4 flat on top of another board in the weather. Within weeks you'll see the fungus growing between the boards.

2... Your roof overhangs are not long enough to prevent rain water soaking the walls. This is not a problem for a normal stick framed house because the walls are water resistant.

It is a serious problem for a home built with the boards (referring back to the flat on flat scenario in point 1) that have a potential water sucking inlet every 6" as the rain runs down the wall. You could spend two lifetimes recaulking and resealing every exterior crack, but the house is made of wood and it wants to twist, shift, and breath. I think you are correct that the "stain" is not helping the problem but I suspect that removing it will not solve it.

Gutters are not enough. Longer roof overhangs or a complete wraparound porch is what it takes to keep the logs dry. This is exhasperate by the deck that fits tightly against the wall.

Take a good look at this LHBA website and you'll quickly see that your problem is totally what we lifetime LHBA members are all here to avoid. Personally, my home has a minimum 6' roof overhang on all sides and my logs are all naturally round with no flat surfaces for water to suck into.

I am sorry that I don't know the solution. I do know that it is perhaps the commonest problem in the kit house industry and you are definitely not alone. Google "kit house rotten logs".

PS... My feet are in the hammock that is suspended from the rafters some 6 feet from the log wall.

Last edited by loghousenut; 08-23-2022 at 01:11 PM.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo1306 View Post
    There! I never used tapatalk before.

I guess I was wrong. You aren't stupid at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    I hate being the bad guy but someone has to start the discussion.

Unfortunately, I fear this is a system failure that is common in the kit log house industry. We, here on this forum all have one thing in common... we are all building a non-kit log home to avoid several of the problems that you have inherited.

Before we see more photos I'll take a stab at your home's problem.

1... Your "logs" have been milled on the tops and bottoms where they rest on each other. The horizontal joints are flat, fitting tightly together. Any water that finds a way to that joint sucks itself in as far as it can and tries to stay there. It then promotes fungus that promotes decay.

Test this theory by putting a 2x4 flat on top of another board in the weather. Within weeks you'll see the fungus growing between the boards.

2... Your roof overhangs are not long enough to prevent rain water soaking the walls. This is not a problem for a normal stick framed house because the walls are water resistant.

It is a serious problem for a home built with the boards (referring back to the flat on flat scenario in point 1) that have a potential water sucking inlet every 6" as the rain runs down the wall. You could spend two lifetimes recaulking and resealing every exterior crack, but the house is made of wood and it wants to twist, shift, and breath. I think you are correct that the "stain" is not helping the problem but I suspect that removing it will not solve it.

Gutters are not enough. Longer roof overhangs or a complete wraparound porch is what it takes to keep the logs dry. This is exhasperate by the deck that fits tightly against the wall.

Take a good look at this LHBA website and you'll quickly see that your problem is totally what we lifetime LHBA members are all here to avoid. Personally, my home has a minimum 6' roof overhang on all sides and my logs are all naturally round with no flat surfaces for water to suck into.

I am sorry that I don't know the solution. I do know that it is perhaps the commonest problem in the kit house industry and you are definitely not alone. Google "kit house rotten logs".

PS... My feet are in the hammock that is suspended from the rafters some 6 feet from the log wall.

So the only answer is “deal with it”?