Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LHBA design vs Kit Design

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LHBA design vs Kit Design

Hello,

Wife & I recently purchased land in western NC. Looking to build a log cabin, shocker.....lol...

Heres the rub. We like the methods taught from the introduction video and feel they have quite a bit of creditable information. However, we are not a big fan of the round logs and are considering a more contemporary/traditional blend to our home. We do not have floor plans and we have not yet decided to act as our our GC. Both of us have experience in building a traditional home but only in south Florida where homes are build out of block and not on slopes, etc. Questions are;

1. If I purchase the course, is there enough information within to help with our build should we choose a route that does not conform to the LHBA blueprint?

2. Can anyone offer alternatives to the kit builds that would give us a bit more flexibility in design as compared to the LHBA round log approach but still offer quality?

Thanks for the feedback,

Jeff & Kelly

The course teaches a lot about good building principals in general, large over hangs etc. I haven't seen a student home that was milled flat though just fyi.
    Could it be done? Probably. Moisture is your enemy especially when cutting large sections of the log off.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the reply. What about interior design flexibility? Assuming you want a portion of the home to have the aesthetics of a log but in other areas of the home, ( bedrooms ) you want a more traditional option such as sheetrock so you can paint and have a bit of transition throughout the home. Does the LHBA offer multiple floorpans or are you working with limited options?

Quote Originally Posted by knotflyn View Post
    Thanks for the reply. What about interior design flexibility? Assuming you want a portion of the home to have the aesthetics of a log but in other areas of the home, ( bedrooms ) you want a more traditional option such as sheetrock so you can paint and have a bit of transition throughout the home. Does the LHBA offer multiple floorplans or are you working with limited options?
    we have a member named MrJack who i believe will be milling flat the interior part of the log and keeping other sides round

One of the great things is that the interior frame walls are not load bearing.

The stock plans that they offer have multiple floorplan options.
    Some members, myself included, started with the stock plans then modified the interior walls to work for us.

All the framed walls can be drywalled/painted to brighten things up, stone, tile, whatever you can imagine. Some like more wood, board and batten, cedar etc, we did drywall including the ceiling inside (only wood being the log walls and second floor beams).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    But, all in all, I keep going back to the part about you two NOT being round log fanatics. If that means that you prefer not having round log walls on all 4 exterior sides, I think the only value of the LHBA course would be if you wanted someone to change your mind.

PS... I am in favor of you changing your mind.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    Where in WNC, we are building out of Murphy if you want a peek.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    Where in WNC, we are building out of Murphy if you want a peek.
    Knotflyn... Whatever you do, do NOT visit Mosseyme's place unless you want to talk each other into building with round logs. I've been there and it is a showcase of why a person would want to take the LHBA class.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by knotflyn View Post
    we are not a big fan of the round logs

[snip]

1. If I purchase the course, is there enough information within to help with our build should we choose a route that does not conform to the LHBA blueprint?
    Hi Jeff & Kelly, thanks for stopping by!

There is a lot of flexibility in the butt and pass method of building a log home, but it really doesn't extend to logs that have been shaped or cut into lumber. So if you are certain that your house won't have whole, naturally-shaped logs, this probably isn't the method for you. The LHBA class might help you with some tips and tricks you wouldn't have thought of, and maybe some money saving tips.... but it probably won't be worth it if you are looking for different construction methods.

You are still welcome here on the forum. Maybe the folks here can help you choose the right style to match your goals?

LHBA Member
    I'll second what LogHouseNut said about MosseyMe's home -- I haven't been there but I've seen photos, and it really is a showcase home. Even if you don't go with round logs, I'd think the details would be worth a visit.