Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help!

Blog Entries
    Rod, you are the most eloquently industrious hermit I have ever known. We need to have a big ole pealing party at your house.
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    Rod, you are the most eloquently industrious hermit I have ever known. We need to have a big ole pealing party at your house.
    yes.

he probably doesn't want SYP, but if someone has a truck, I can find enough neighbors with trees to load it up. sheesh. won't leave me alone with the "you want any more logs?"
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    These are the kinds of problem solving challenges that I really like digging into. I'm the guy my company sends, when nobody else can resolve an issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

good man to have around, Rod. glad you're here

I had only mentioned foundation walls in my previous posts, not type of walls. The walls, as you might have guessed are concrete block. So does that mean that the rods are anchored into a bonding top course and then extend upwards. Then I would assume, perhaps wrongly, that the rods are threaded rods that are extended with coupling nuts every few courses so that the stacking of the logs would be less tedious. Then there is some sort flitting with the "spring " or tension ing device in the top plate log. So would I have to access the nut on the top plate between joists? I am hoping to get her to provide some better information from photos, etc. But that won't happen until next week as she is out of town right now. Regardless, are the spring systems common with the these type of kits? And are there typically any 'rules of thumb' spacing requirements or suggestions? If they are not typical systems, it might help me track down the manufacturer.

To answer another question, the legal process is very tedious and my intentions are to avoid at the very least, the chance for any catastrophic failure.

Once again, thank you for your responses to this thread. I will keep trying to get more information from her in order to further work through this problem. Thank you!

I have to agree whole heartedly to that statement. I had a long career in remodeling taking on the jobs that no one else would even consider. There are a lot of lessons to be learned about structures and what could be done to them rather than what should have been done. The one thing I learned is that almost anything can be fixed with the right applications of time and money. Someone who has been out there and has the experience and patience to think things through and is willing to share that knowledge is a very valuable asset.

LHBA Member
    I don't know any more or less about kit homes than most everyone else on here but I'm trying to wrap my head around whatever this "spring" device is... I wonder if they used some type of helicoil in the logs, as to be able to thru bolt the next layer of logs down. And yes, it should be anchored to the block wall one way or another. Another component of many kits, that I don't believe has been mentioned yet, is screw jacks.

I believe your understanding of the tie system is likely correct Remodlrj. I don't know whether it is a common practice with kithomes however.
    Depending on how the structure is built, there may be no screw jacks. (which would be found under vertical supports that would be supporting ridge beams, purlins, or girders) My guess is, you won't find any, because they already went to the trouble of making a maintenance free self tightening system for the wall logs.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

The problems my daughter has is with the foundation which was apparently very poorly designed and executed and imho fraudulently hidden from a naive first home buyer. I don't know where this is heading but I sincerely appreciate this forums knowledge and intentionally respectful dealings with someone with limited knowledge with log homes. When I can acquire more information or insight into this debacle I'll get back to you all. In the meantime, thank you!

Found this article that may explain what they did.
    https://www.loghome.com/articles/log...ing-solutions1
    Work Safe!