Thread: Carpenter Bees / Spraying Cooking Oil.

Carpenter Bees / Spraying Cooking Oil.

Hi All,

I usually use that NBS-30 to deter all the carpenter bees but it only works well when mixed with a stain since the stain is oil based and will adhere to the wood better. The instructions say you can also use water but the results won't be the same and may have to re apply often. So I thought, what about cooking oil? I have a good sprayer that will shoot out a mist (or stream when I need to get higher).

Has anyone tried this? Bad idea? Other options besides water? What harm can cooking oil do to logs?

I can double up on the NBS-30 but it's about $45.00 (to be mixed with 5 gallons of stain, or water, or cooking oil).

Not interested in tennis rackets, or home made traps, or guns, or bug zappers. The whole idea is to keep them from coming anywhere near to house to bore. The NBS-30 works great....just want another option to apply and to hear if cooking oil on yellow pine is bad.

Thanks.

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    I can't say about cooking oil but I restained my deck and rails in our TN home last fall. I watched some kind of bug like a cross between a wasp and a moth or something sit on the rails and eat the stain off. I wonder if it has some kind of vegetables oil base or something. They eat right on into the wood a little. I would not want to take a chance.. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVze6AgLMtWNd7mu5
    The bug people don't have a clue and the stain people don't have a clue but I'm telling you I watched them. Don't know why I didn't take pictures if they come back I will.
    Last edited by Mosseyme; 04-29-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Is be worried that cooking oil will leave residue on the logs and might affect how stain looks later on?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    What is it about the stain that makes it work better? Does it have to be an oil based stain?
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Wouldn't cooking oil turn rancid?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme View Post
    I can't say about cooking oil but I restained my deck and rails in our TN home last fall. I watched some kind of bug like a cross between a wasp and a moth or something sit on the rails and eat the stain off. I wonder if it has some kind of vegetables oil base or something. They eat right on into the wood a little. I would not want to take a chance.. https://photos.app.goo.gl/NVze6AgLMtWNd7mu5
    The bug people don't have a clue and the stain people don't have a clue but I'm telling you I watched them. Don't know why I didn't take pictures if they come back I will.
    is this them, Cindy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sesiidae

LHBA Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure, it was last fall and I never really got down a looked closely
    But it could be