Thread: white cedar vs white pine half-log siding

white cedar vs white pine half-log siding

I'm from Ontario Canada and found a fabulous deal 2 yrs ago on a 20x25 cabin for under $25,000. I've renovated it since then with my sons-new roof, windows,doors,electrical,plumbing,flooring,bathroo m, loft and front porch. The place was built in the days before plywood with 1" thick pine tongue and groove siding covered with asphalt siding that resembles red brick. I cannot just remove the asphalt siding as there are some soft spots that I have to cut out and replace. I have always wanted a log place but when this deal came up I decided I could compromise. Now I want to apply half log siding to make it more appealing. I'm considering white pine or eastern white cedar. I'd like to know if one is preferred over the other in terms of durability or maintenance. Structural strength is not an really an issue. I'd appreciate any recommendations you may have, paul

Cedar is naturally bug and rot resistant. If you can afford it, that's the ticket.

Greg

Paul, my experience is that depending where you live and (since you are up North I don't know that bugs will be a problem for you.) Wood is only as good as the method that you preserve it with. Look at both Cedar and Pine and decide which one apeals to you. The key to your happiness lies in using the right stain and sealer to achive the look you want. In my book they are about equal, but thats just me. I have used both and you can get fantastic results from either one if done right. Of course there is that price difference but only you can make that decission.

Larry