Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on yellow blisters in our cabin chink

Probably trying to seal cracks (improperly), and the yellow stuff is commonly sold at the big box stores.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadster View Post
    Just acquired a property with a cabin guest house. Never really inspected the cabin until we took ownership. Frankly, I don’t even know how old it is. It’s quite small, and did not offer much to enhance the value of the property itself. Now my wife wants to “fix it up” and in the course of looking it over, I noticed these blisters. I tried a Google search and came up empty. I figured I would try and find some experts to assist my efforts. I hope this extra info lends context.
    Those are hand hewn logs, it's likely pretty old and possibly was dismantled and rebuilt at some point. Let's see more pics, of the outside, as a whole... That's where the real problems can start.

Yeah, appears to be spray foam, and here's what probably happened. Like Allen said, the place has been rechinked. They probably did it during a cooler time of the year. They probably filled any gaps with foam, and almost immediately went over it with Permachink. The problem with this is, the cold really slows down the expansion process, and sealing it in with the Permachink slows the solvent evaporation that cures the foam. What you get is foam expanding after the chinking was applied, and squeezes out from every possible avenue. The good news is, if it is spray foam, you can just quickly go over it with a wire brush, and may not even need to touch up the Permachink. If it's some other type of sealant, particularly some type of non-curing variety, (butyl rubber for example) you'll have to cut out the Permachink and redo.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    All my bad forum habits I learned from LHN

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005
    Thinking outside the vinyl sided box

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    Those are hand hewn logs, it's likely pretty old and possibly was dismantled and rebuilt at some point. Let's see more pics, of the outside, as a whole... That's where the real problems can start.
    So the cabin was built in 1991. Here are some exterior pics. Not sure how old the logs are, or if they were taken off a different structure before fitting them to this structure.

https://ibb.co/2v4HLVb
    https://ibb.co/hVFJDFX
    https://ibb.co/FxhmLgG

LHBA Member
    If that's the guest house you never really inspected, you must have bought a real nice place!

what he said!

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    If that's the guest house you never really inspected, you must have bought a real nice place!
    Quote Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
    what he said!

Yes...the place is nice for sure. It will be our primary residence and this cabin is a cool, if quirky, little feature. It certainly added value to the property for us, but for many others, maybe not so much, as most people would probably prefer NOT to have a cabin in their backyard (at least that is what the realtor said might account for the long sales cycle). That said, we’re delighted.

Thanks everyone for kindly taking time to share with me your feedback on those yellow bubbles. I’ll come back to the board and let everyone know how it works out after we repair those areas. We’re also going to retreat the exterior, as you can see in the pictures, the logs need some love and maintenance.

Looks like the deck needs more attention than the walls, but always good to stay on top of the maintenance, rather than wait until it's way overdue.

Rod Reidnauer
    Class of Apr. 9-10, 2005

LHBA Member
    Potential problem areas are wood nearest the ground on the sides that don't have much roof overhang. Depending on your climate, you probably have nothing to worry about, just do as much as you can to keep water and moisture away. And you have copper gutters even LHN should be jealous of.
    Last edited by allen84; 12-09-2020 at 06:50 PM.