Thread: Northman's Stick Build

Northman's Stick Build

Doing an addition on our home, took the class 6 years ago. Sadly couldn't do the log thing for a multitude of reasons.

We had a porch that had alot of water damage and was in ROUGH shape so we demoed it out. I HIGHLY recommend the Axe sawzall blades not from Diablo but the other brand that fleet farm carries. Can't remember. They cut through the shingles like crazy!

porch demo.jpgporch demo.jpg

that was day 1, took about 4 hours after work. Filled a 20 yard dumpster with ease, got another dumpster and cut through the tile floor, that ate some sawzall blades! I managed to only have to cut 2 of them thankfully and picked them up with the tractor and dumped them in the trash.

porch demo 2.jpg

After that it took a while to get excavators in, I went with an ICF basement, it was awesome. I did the drain tile and waterproofing but nothing else. The quote I got was so ridiculously low I felt it was worth it to get the foundation part of it right and get the project moving so I could spend more of my time on other more bang for my buck projects. I did get to watch the process though and learned alot, I could have done it myself but it would have been pretty slow with just one man.

I've been doing all the framing. Its 8' walls and I put the trusses on top of the walls. I wish I had gone deeper and done them on hangers, I'll elaborate later as to why. My wife really wanted to have the first floor level so little kids aren't falling down all the time.

trusses.jpg
    Last edited by NorthMan; 08-09-2020 at 09:50 AM.

We haven't picked out a front door yet so I kinda just left it open. I'll have to figure that out pretty soon though because I'm ready to put up walls on the second floor. I'd be doing that right now but its raining cats and dogs .. . .

Attachment 4232

Attachment 4233

I got the wall sheathing done Friday, 3 more trusses up on the second floor, I have 2 left but until I cut the eves off the existing house I can't put them where they need to be.

sheathing.jpg
    Back to the first post - this is where I knew I'd hit trouble! the original house is 2x8 "trusses" with a girder down the middle. The first floor is level, the second floor though is trusses that are 20" high (since I cantilevered them out another 2') they are monsters. 20"- 8" is 12". well the floor to ceiling height thanks to the roofline where those two are going to join is 6' 10" minus the 12" difference and you better be 5'8 or so to fit in there without rearranging your hair!

flooring 2.jpg

I'll have to be creative about rooflines. Or I tear off the entire old roof and redo it. I suppose a guy could just rip off the parts where the "new rafters" would attach and patch into it there and roof over the old roof? IDK I'll figure it out once I get the floor over there and see how far up I need to go.

pic of my dog and our youngest chilling out.

boy and dog.jpg
    Last edited by NorthMan; 08-09-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    So, when do you year down the rest of the house and build the rest of the mansion?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by loghousenut View Post
    So, when do you year down the rest of the house and build the rest of the mansion?

that happens when I reside it this fall and find all the other problems lol

its been a while I really need to post more pics but there doesn't seem to be much interest.

Looks great!
    We like pics, but hard to keep the group interesting without logs
    We built our garage apt last year and nobody cared haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Completed #1 - Sold #1.....#2 about to start
    http://jandjloghome.blogspot.com/

More people are interested than post.
    “None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Looks great!
    We like pics, but hard to keep the group interesting without logs
    We built our garage apt last year and nobody cared haha.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I cared.

Ooops, sorry, I thought you was someone else.

Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.