Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help finding a Log Home Kit provider

Looking for help finding a Log Home Kit provider

I am in the market to build a log home on a dream lakefront location in Deep East Texas. I am having trouble though finding vendors who make log homes out of Eastern Red Cedar. I have been looking at vendors like Southland and Katahdin, but neither offer Eastern Red Cedar as an option. Any leads on vendors like Southland or Katahdin that use Eastern Red Cedar would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Jim

LHBA Member
    Welcome, Jim. As you learn more about log homes, you'll find several different approaches to building. Kit homes are generally made of logs milled into timber, losing a very large amount of thermal mass, and they are built with lots of shrinkage expected as the wood dries over the years. Accomodation has to be made in kit homes to allow extra space over doors and windows, and jacks have to be installed and adjusted periodically as shrinkage progresses. Experienced realtors can tell you log homes (from kits) turn into a great deal of maintenance, too.

This forum is centered on different design techniques, addressing the issues I just mentioned and many more. If you are interested in this style, take a look through the student gallery photos, and if you want real logs but without building it yourself, there is a forum member here (Ronnie RockClimber) who does these for a living. The rest of us have built, are building, or will build the home(s) ourselves (DIY).

LHBA Member
    You won't find any kit home builders here... But you've arrived at the right place to start your journey. I have a buddy that built a lake view home in Texas recently (not log, modern look). Which lake you planning to build on?

I've built and worked on literally hundreds of log homes. The only eastern red cedar homes you'll find are all vertical logs, as eastern red cedar is a weak wood, and doesnt grow large enough to reliably make homes out of. Western red cedar yes, eastern no. But be prepared to open your wallet up for western cedar
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

Quote Originally Posted by rckclmbr428 View Post
    I've built and worked on literally hundreds of log homes. The only eastern red cedar homes you'll find are all vertical logs, as eastern red cedar is a weak wood, and doesnt grow large enough to reliably make homes out of. Western red cedar yes, eastern no. But be prepared to open your wallet up for western cedar
    Make sure the wallet opens real wide and is well stocked.

The red cedar over here has lots of taper, large butt swells, but a nice center piece as a girder support log
    Last edited by DoubleJRanch; 10-12-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    Rick

The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm
    "Ride for the Brand"-- its the code of the west.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    You won't find any kit home builders here... But you've arrived at the right place to start your journey. I have a buddy that built a lake view home in Texas recently (not log, modern look). Which lake you planning to build on?
    On a Facebook log cabin group I'm on (not LHBA), I just saw a post about how much did people spend to finish their kit home "beyond the price of the kit", and most folks were saying "3 times". So if the kit was $80k, the finished home was $240k.

Compared to the $1k LHBA class, I guess the LHBA method is costing me 60 times the cost of the class!

I'm actually pretty happy about that, lol.
    --
    "cutting trees is more important than thinking about cutting trees or planning to cut trees." ~ F. David Stanley

videos: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/mudflap/
    polished blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com
    not-so-polished-but-updated-frequently blog: https://mudbox.freedombox.rocks/ikiw...fromtheMudbox/
    diaspora: https://diaspora.psyco.fr/people/613...39001e67d879df

Just build an ICF house instead.

Blog Entries
    The Kit House experience can be devastating. Google Kit house problem or Kit House Forum.

The problems are rampant and it is usually the owner that gets stomped.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Trying to get to page 2