Thread: Considering 1985 log home

Considering 1985 log home

Hello! I'm looking for some advice. My husband and I are considering this log home. Here are two sets of property listing pictures:

[links removed by poster's request below]

A couple concerns we have are: no gutters, the over hangs don't seem large enough on the sides of the house, is 1985 still a concern for PCP, it looks like it was banned in 1984 but how can you test for it? I'm learning more bit by bit about log homes but the only log home inspector we could find (South Texas) said the house is too far away so they wont help us so I think we'll be on our own in that respect.

Please share anything you can tell from the pictures that would be a red flag! Thank you so much
    Last edited by Admin; 06-04-2020 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Links removed at the request of the author

I'm a professional log home builder, and I do a ton of restoration work as well. That said, this style in particular varying width logs flat on flat construction is the worst for catching water and rotting. I keep about 400' of this exact style log on hand because I get so many repair jobs for them. I'd highly recommend skipping this one. And might I add, for 450k you can build yourself something a million times better.
    www.WileyLogHomes.com
    "Hand Crafted Traditions"

LHBA Member
    I know some things about real estate... Two listings, that appear to both be current, two sets of photos and big difference in price advertised, raises some questions. I wonder if it's a wholesale deal, or did they switch agents and raise the price $100K, did someone recently purchase it to flip, OR? Which raises many more questions. Then there are also the concerns of flat on flat logs, rckclmbr mentioned. I must agree, take a pass on that one.

LHBA Member
    I agree to take a pass. Don't let all that pretty wood on the inside fool you, and I really do like a lot of the finishes.

You've identified the problem, the tiny overhangs. With that and the style of lumber (not logs) it is built out of, this will be a maintenance nightmare down the road.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

Blog Entries
    Yup. Don't fall in love with this one.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Every time I have strayed from the teachings of Skip Ellsworth it has cost me money.

I love the mask mandate. I hardly ever have to bruh my teeth anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by allen84 View Post
    I know some things about real estate... Two listings, that appear to both be current, two sets of photos and big difference in price advertised, raises some questions. I wonder if it's a wholesale deal, or did they switch agents and raise the price $100K, did someone recently purchase it to flip, OR? Which raises many more questions. Then there are also the concerns of flat on flat logs, rckclmbr mentioned. I must agree, take a pass on that one.
    The one listed at 450k is the listing from the first agent, it's currently priced at 359... The second listing is the most current one.

Thanks everyone! You are so helpful. I wish I would have just asked here in the first place instead of wasting many days researching and dreaming about it! You guys definitely saved us from making a big mistake. Now I will just look for land so we can build our own!

LHBA Member
    Yes - take the class and build a classic.
    https://daleslogcabin.shutterfly.com/

3146 kilometers away from Loghousenut

LHBA Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Q_gal View Post
    The one listed at 450k is the listing from the first agent, it's currently priced at 359... The second listing is the most current one.

Thanks everyone! You are so helpful. I wish I would have just asked here in the first place instead of wasting many days researching and dreaming about it! You guys definitely saved us from making a big mistake. Now I will just look for land so we can build our own!
    Good choice. Even if you are unsure of LHBA but are interested in log homes or building any kind of home, take the course. No doubt, you will save yourself time and money with the knowledge you gain. I believe it's open online now. I've been thru most of the online material. Good stuff and easy to go back and review.

Can a moderator please remove the links from my post or just delete it - I'd hate for it to come up on a google search for the property.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_Q_gal View Post
    Can a moderator please remove the links from my post or just delete it - I'd hate for it to come up on a google search for the property.
    Sure, done.